Are you passionate about the quality and sustainability of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene services? IRC WASH seeks a leader for its Ethiopia programme.
IRC WASH works to strengthen the ‘systems’ that underpin the successful and sustainable delivery of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene services. By ‘systems’ we mean the policies, institutions, capacities, technologies, and finances that are vital at all levels for WASH facilities to get built, and then be operated and used sustainably. We do this by building partnerships and working with public, private and civil society actors to strengthen different aspects of the system. We call ourselves a ‘think-and-do-tank’. Generating and using new evidence on what works is crucial to our mission, this is based on first-hand experiences in woredas, zones, and regions and at the national level.
You will lead IRC WASH activities in Ethiopia – one of 6 current IRC focus countries - managing and growing a team of 10 staff and consultants. You will manage relations with our partners, including government and other key national actors in WASH. You will ensure delivery of a high-quality programme and outputs across a range of projects. You will be responsible for strategy and programme development and the monitoring and reporting of our impacts. As part of an international organisation with its centre of gravity in low and middle income countries, you will be a member of IRC's management team and support development and delivery of its global strategy.
Requirements for this position are:
- Excellent leadership, networking and influencing skills. You are able to lead and persuade people through the power of both your personality and your ability to marshal and use complex evidence-based messages in a clear and compelling manner. You have a strong understanding of the different types of evidence and communications channels that are most appropriate to the needs of different audiences and can use these to change policies and behaviours.
- At least ten years post-MSc level professional experience in WASH or a similar sector, with extensive WASH networks and knowledge in Ethiopia and a track record of managing complex programmes and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partners, external actors and allies.
- Mature work practices, demonstrated sound judgement and the ability to respond positively to mentoring and directions.
- Willingness and availability to travel regularly within Ethiopia and internationally.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Flexible, highly motivated and inspiring.
- Advanced computer skills.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa offered on a fixed-term contract basis. There will be a six months’ probation phase working alongside the existing Country Director who will serve as an adviser.
For this post, IRC offers internationally competitive remuneration. However, this is a national position and candidates will be Ethiopian or with an existing right to live and work in Ethiopia. IRC offers excellent opportunities for professional and career development within an international network.
Please apply to Betelhem Asegid (email@example.com) by 26 October 2018, submitting a concise CV and a covering letter explaining your motivation to work with IRC.