Child Safeguarding Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the children is the world’s leading independent organization for children. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, ambition, collaboration, creativity and integrity, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves. We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation.
The WASH Officer will be part of the Integrated Multi-Sectoral Life-Saving Response to Crisis Affected Children and their Families Babile woredas of Somali Region, aiming at supporting local communities, returnees and IDPs affected by the recent crises. The incumbent of this position represents SC values and principles in interactions with beneficiaries, staff and external audiences. These values and principles include commitment to the mission of Save the Children international, team orientation, quality management and leadership development, introducing systems and procedures to strengthen staff motivation and productivity. S/he will be expected to work closely with the target communities; the project team, area offices and respective operational districts and regional level stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for the design, the timely implementation of the WASH activities at community and institutional level and their monitoring as per the approved project document, government and donor requirements and Save the Children standards.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Coordinator
Dimensions: Save the Children works in all regions in Ethiopia with a current staff complement of approximately — staff and current expenditure of approximately $90+ million each year.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- To Ensure that the WASH promotion activities are implemented according to the approved donor and government agreements.
- Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and review of response activities as per the agreed document with donor and partners.
- Carrying out needs assessments and identify activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behaviour change.
- Develop request of material needed for WASH promotion activities and design IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adult, children, persons living with disabilities).
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. Those may include but are not limited to: conduct sex and age segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment and water quality monitoring, training and follow up of community health workers, cleaning campaign.
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of COVID-19 spread (maintain physical distance, activities and training implemented in open or well ventilated spaces etc.).
- Responsible for controlling and validating the quality of the material to purchase and received (particular for WASH and dignity kits).
- Provide daily/weekly report to immediate supervisor.
- Provide WASH promotion related training for the Water Management Committee, governmental technicians, and concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from COVID-19 and other WASH related disease and about the importance of properly use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
- Be based in the targeted regions (depending on the needs) for several days per week to monitor the activities, including overnight stay in rural areas.
- Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, elderly and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known. Work in close coordination with the WASH construction officers and other sectors colleagues to ensure that the overall WASH response address the needs of the targeted population, in the respect of dignity and local culture.
- Contribute to regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring, baseline and end-line surveys.
- Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree in public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
- Minimum 3 years of total experience of which 1 years in WASH emergency interventions in NGOs or similar organization.
- Experience in WASH facilities construction in a complex and demanding workload.
- Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated work experience in designing, supervise and implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centres.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
- Desired spoken and written English.
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
- Knowledge of the area and region where the post is located.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. The duty station of the position holder will be in Babile Woreda of Fafan Zone Somali Regional State in Ethiopia. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
How to apply for external: https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Sep 21, 2021