Water Advisory Associate
Could you shape our water advisory portfolio in the Midlands? Come and work with the brightest minds to shape our region.
We employ like-minded people who want to make a difference in society. Together, we are unstoppable.
Our employee ownership structure means we are free to choose the projects we work on, to challenge and develop our staff. Technical complexity and socially beneficial work are our hallmarks. Working on projects with the Environment Agency, Severn Trent Water, and HS2, see our colleagues work together to solve problems for our clients and leave a legacy in our region.
A career with Arup will see you given the freedom to choose your direction. Whether it’s working on projects across the UK or further afield, our global network and culture of collaboration give you a platform to build your career.
We have an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in delivering a comprehensive and growing portfolio of impactful projects in the water and flood risk management sectors both locally and internationally. We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic associate to lead water advisory projects across the sector, including business cases, resilience projects and climate change adaptation.
You will be interacting with and advising other engineers, specialists, managers and clients. You would be expected to be leading the delivery of projects, bids and client relationship management.
We are interested in hearing from people with skills in the following specific areas:
- Flood risk management
- Business case development in line with The Green Book
- Economic appraisal
- Client change adaptation
- Risk and resilience in the water sector
- Water supply/treatment and wastewater
This senior role would also enable you to shape our business and develop new work streams.
Candidates should have experience with the above type of work. The successful candidate will have a wide range of responsibilities, some of which are described below.
We have a growing forward pipeline of opportunities with clients who share our passion for shaping a better world with secured frameworks. You’ll help us deliver effective and professional services for various and high-profile clients on projects ranging from those on a local scale to those with national significance.
To do this, you would be:
- Working with Arup colleagues in specialisms such as Flood and Coastal Risk Management, water companies, regulatory, infrastructure and water advisory, dams and reservoirs, site development, sustainability and environmental planning.
- Working with collaborators such as environmental scientists, engineers, landscape architects and planners.
- Meeting and working with clients, local authorities, and other stakeholders – including site visits.
- Leading the delivery of projects
- Technical oversight and authority
- Financial management and responsibility for financial performance of projects
- Managing teams on projects or line management.
We encourage our staff to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn, and a desire to deliver an excellent service to our clients effectively.
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field
- Full member /chartered member of a professional body
- Demonstrable experience in flood risk management, water company sector, business case and economic appraisal, risk and resilience, climate change adaptation, water regulatory, sector or similar.
- Understanding of the principles of flood and coastal risk management projects.
- Experience working in and leading multidisciplinary teams and client/stakeholder liaisons.
- Experience of managing large projects and/or portfolios of projects.
- Client engagement.
- Experience of HM Treasury Green Book
- Enthusiasm for a career in the FCERM/water sector underpinned by understanding our industry and work.
- A proactive and organised approach and the ability to plan ahead to ensure deadlines are met.
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem-solving and seek to improve existing ways of working.
- Be flexible to the needs of the business and changes to project plans.
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects and the development of the team and business as a whole.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Different people, shared values
At Arup, we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all backgrounds.
At Arup, we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different, and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply, and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Stay safe online – Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.