Lake Pend Oreille Waterkeeper (LPOW) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of Lake Pend Oreille and its associated waterways through education, advocacy and community engagement. Located in beautiful Sandpoint, Idaho, LPOW and its members work to keep our local waterways swimmable, fishable and drinkable. LPOW is a member organization of the Waterkeeper Alliance (http://waterkeeper.org), which is the largest and fastest growing movement focused solely on clean water.
Lake Pend Oreille Waterkeeper seeks and energetic and enthusiastic individual with a passion of our mission to manage our communications efforts. The Communications Associate will promote the organization and our advocacy and educational initiatives and work to mobilize the community to take action on issues affecting our local waterways. This full-time staff person reports directly to the Executive Director of Lake Pend Oreille Waterkeeper and will be based out of LPOW’s downtown Sandpoint office location.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to promote advocacy initiatives, educational programs and citizen science monitoring to build community support.
- Produce regular newsletters, email blasts and other LPOW publicity materials.
- Create and distribute marketing publications such as brochures, semi-annual reports, posters, flyers and fact-sheets.
- Draft, edit and design regularly scheduled emails and help maintain LPOW’s databases and listservs.
- Curate and maintain LPOW’s website.
- Help to write news stories, press releases and other media alerts; develop and foster positive relationships with local and regional media.
- Develop and implement LPOW’s social media strategy including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Assist with fundraising through the creation of annual appeal letters and digital appeal campaigns.
- Work with staff to execute special events, including developing event communications and promoting the event and representing the organization.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience - communications/public relations.
- Ability to learn new subject areas sufficient to understand technical issues and create related communications pieces.
- Experience with social media and email marketing.
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing and diplomatic.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects, set realistic deadlines and manage a timeline.
- Ability to prioritize work according to the organization’s needs.
- Flexibility to accommodate irregular daily tasks.
- Commitment to Lake Pend Oreille Waterkeeper’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, environmental studies, journalism, or related field.
- Fundraising experience.
- Understanding of the Clark Fork/Pend Oreille watershed.
- Non-profit experience.
Salary Range: $30,000-$35,000 based on experience. Position is contingent on continued funding.