WASH Project Implementation Manual Consultant
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUALSELECTION)
Pap ua New Guinea
Water Supply and Sanitation DevelopmentProject (WSSDP)
Credit No.: IDA-5940
Assignment Title: ProjectImplementation Manual (PIM)
Reference No: DNPM C.2
The Independent State of Papua NewGuinea has received financing from the World Bank towards t he cost of the “Water Supply and Sanitation DevelopmentProject (WSSDP)”. The WaSH Programme Management Unit (WaSH PMU) of the Department of National Planning and Monitoring (DNPM)intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”)include:
Hiring a qualified and experienced consultant to develop a &ld quo;Project Implementation Manual” forWSSDP. Key tasks associated with the position are;
To facilitate the impl ementation of the project, the consultantwill assist the Government with the preparation of a Project Implementation Manual (PIM) t hat details the various processes andprocedures to be used to implement the project (WSSDP). This consultancy aims to help GoPNG pr epare selected chapters of this PIMcovering: the processes and procedures for administering the WSSDP, focusing on overall implemen tation arrangements, financialmanagement, procurement, monitoring and evaluation and other design details that pertain to all compo nents of the project amongstothers. The PIM is intended to ensure consistency, transparency and accountability in the application o f project managementprocedures at all levels.
The Consultant’s responsibility will include but not limitedto thefollowing;
- Review past WSSDP documentation and World Bank Aide Memories to familiarize with the projectobjectives, strategies, components, roles and responsibilities relevant to the project;
- Review key World Bank operational policies and procedures directly applicable for project implementation;
- Draw upon both international and localwork on rural WaSH in developing countries and examples of similar existing or past implementation manuals to appreciate the alternaati wores and options in implementing a national WaSH program;
- Prepare PIM Chapters outlining the operational proceduresto be llowed in the overall implementation of project components relative to the development of key sector institutions, and to thedevelo pment of rural and peri-urban WaSH. Procedures should include, as annexes, checklists, reporting formats/templates and/ortools to b e applied in implementing the project, and project design elements should incorporate WB and GoPNG standards, guidelinesand procedu res;
- Conduct working sessions with key stakeholders from within the Government and the World Bank Team toreview and valid ate the proposed procedures.
The above key tasks of the Consultant are also reflected in the“Terms of Referenc e (TOR)” and are available on requests.
Selection Criteria are as follows:
- University Degree in Management, Public Administration, Engineering,International/Rural Development, Anthropol ogy/Sociology, Communications or another relevant field
- Minimum 5 years’experience in operational management in an international development setting, including designing and implementing developmentprojects, preferably in infrastructure developme nt
- Experience preparing project documents for national programimplementation for infrastructure investment, with local-le vel sub-project components
- Experience or familiarity with PNGrules and regulations (i.e. PFM Act), similar national progr am and project implementation will be useful
- Excellentwritten communication skills, including the ability to write in Eng lish clear guidelines for a general/ non-specialistaudience
- Strong liaison and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and complete work to specifiedtimelines
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of WorldBank implementation (Procurement and Financial Management) requirements and/or experi ence preparing similar projectoperations/implementation manuals
- Experience working in PNG
- Understanding of loca l conditions, includingculture, administrative systems, and government organization of PNG
The contract duration wil l be total of 4 weeks(20 working days) over a period of 2 months.
The Consultant will report to the WaSH PMU Coordinator.
The attentionof interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Emp loyment ofConsultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict ofinterest.
Consultants will be selected in accordance with the Selection based on Individual Consultants Seelection Method set out in the Cons interest.
Further information can beobtained at the address below during office xpressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (inperson, or by e-mail) by 4pm on Thursdaythe 18th of October 2018.
Department of Na tional Planning & Monitoring
Attention: Mr. Takale Tuna, WaSH Coordinator
WaSH ProgrammeManagement Unit
4th Floor, Vulupindi House, Waigani.
Tel: +67 5 3234608