REFERENCE NO.: 2020/UNU/FLORES/INTERN/DNC/21
LOCATION: Dresden, Germany
TIMEZONE: UTC +1
CLOSING DATE: Open until position is filled
About United Nations University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
United Nations University for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute, through research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, to the resolution of pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources (water, soil and waste), particularly in developing and transitional countries. It aims to serve within the UN as the think-tank on resources management and be internationally recognized as major hub and intellectual focal point promoting integrated management strategies addressing in particular the needs of developing and emerging countries. The Institute is located in Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany. For more information please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
The Dresden Nexus Conference
The third edition of the Dresden Nexus Conference (DNC2020) will take place 3–5 June 2020 in the heart of Saxony. DNC is a one-of-a-kind event, bringing together actors from academia, civil society, industry, and government from all over the world to discuss the sustainable management of environmental resources.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES and under the direct supervision of the DNC Event Coordinator, the intern will contribute to the preparation and execution of the DNC 2020 by supporting in the following activities:
- participate in conference, administrative, and logistical activities
- contribute in the development and execution of the call for submissions and the review process, engaging various audiences around the world
- conceptualisation, development, and execution of conference materials, promotional activities, and resources such as flyers, posters, social media campaigns, etc.
- draft dynamic content and maintain the Dresden Nexus Conference website
- support in the development and execution of the scientific and social programme, including but not limited to supporting the coordination and management of programme stakeholders, the timely collection of their inputs, and other related tasks
- manage the conference participants, especially VIPs
- assist with post-conference management, including follow up with participants, and the post-event analysis of data for the production of an internal summary report and de-brief
- complete independent projects based on the needs of the conference organisers as assigned by the supervisor
- perform other duties as assigned by the Director or the supervisor
Interns are also welcome to take part in seminars, brunches, workshops, conferences, and other events organised by UNU-FLORES while completing the internship.
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- the candidate must be currently pursuing, or has recently graduated from postgraduate studies, or is in the final year of a bachelor’s degree in the field of communications sciences, journalism, public relations, international relations, event management, environmental sciences, political sciences, social sciences or related fields
- experience in event management would be an asset
- proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- proficiency in oral and written English is required; proficiency in German would be highly desirable, knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset
- quality orientation
- ability to work within agreed timelines
Please note that interns are not financially remunerated. Selected candidates have the responsibility of arranging their own travel, accommodation, and cost of living.
UNU-FLORES accepts no responsibility for the medical and life insurance of the intern or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship. Interns will be requested to show proof of insurance when commencing the internship.
The purpose of the internship is not to lead to further employment with UNU-FLORES but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination.
The successful candidate shall be based at UNU-FLORES in Dresden, Germany on a full-time basis (40h per week) for a period of 3-6 months. Part-time applications will be considered under exceptional conditions.
As soon as possible.