South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
As part of the Global Sourcing team within the Climate Projects business line, the Senior Specialist, Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) Project Developer, will primarily focus on Nature-based emission reduction project opportunities in the Southeast Asia region. The role is specifically tasked with working with a limited number of vetted project owners (POs) in the region, especially Indonesia, to support them in developing their NBS projects.This includes closely working with the PO to identify threats to a project’s landscape, develop and design a long-term intervention plan, and configure all the necessary preparation to get the project to a state of “carbon project readiness”.
The Project Developer will also focus on supporting business development and emission reduction project sourcing-related activities in the region – mainly associated with forestry such as REDD+ and afforestation/reforestation, possibly these activities in blue carbon contexts. In this exciting role, you will work closely with other teams within the Climate Projects business line, especially the structured carbon finance and project implementation teams, allowing you a global perspective on climate finance and sustainability. In addition, you will be dealing directly with project owners and sustainability-related actors to help collaborate and source emission reduction projects for South Pole’s global portfolio.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support Southeast Asia project sourcing operations activities for carbon credits through building up technical readiness of potential NBS projects and capacity building with respective project owners in the region
- Develop and ensure that projects’ readiness are in line with the company guidelines and technical requirements of relevant voluntary standards and methodologies in the NBS sector
- Collaborate with other teams within South Pole globally, in regards to project readiness development, especially the project development, finance and project implementation teams
- Work with Asia NBS Sourcing team as well as other relevant teams in the company to develop and execute a project selection framework to determine which projects to develop together with project owners
- Where needed, develop relationships and networking with conservation organisations that might possibly play a role in implementation of the projects
- University degree in Forestry, Natural Resource management Economics, Environmental Sustainability, Business Development and Law or similar
- Experience in NBS project development and implementation (especially REDD+ or Blue Carbon), ideally linked to (and/or is within the context of) carbon markets both compliance or voluntary
- Hands-on technical experience with emission reduction standards and methodologies in the NBS sector is a major advantage
- Experience in project development/implementation and budgeting/financing, including defining key elements such as Theories of Change
- Knowledge of relevant NBS project development in the Southeast Asia region
- Native or fluent in a relevant local language (Indonesian), and professional proficiency in English is a must
- Comfortable working with an international and multicultural team.
- Proficiency with Google Suite and MS Office
- knowledge of other applications such as Salesforce or other CRM tools is a plus
- Good understanding of climate change mitigation actions and frameworks such as Net-Zero, Climate Neutrality, etc.
- Strong existing networks in NBS fields such as Forestry and Conservation
- Experience with capacity building within NGOs, conservation organizations and ideally for profit businesses
- Experience and interest in engagements and networking — people skills.
- Adaptability and versatility.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.