Assistant Team Leader/Sector Specialist, Final Performance Evaluation for USAID/Haiti’s WATER AND SANITATION (WATSAN) PROJECT
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area based international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. In the arena of international development, SI is considered to be one of the global leaders in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services crosscut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
In May 2017, USAID awarded SI the Haiti Evaluation Survey Services (ESS) contract to conduct baseline, mid-term, and final evaluations for a wide range of projects currently being implemented throughout the country, with more emphasis around USAID’s development corridors of Port-au-Prince, Saint Marc, and Cap-Haitian. The contract also includes sector assessments to inform the Mission in designing its new Strategic Framework (2018-2020).
Haiti ESS is conducting a final performance evaluation to determine WATSAN the effectiveness in achieving its objectives (USAID Water and Development progress indicators). The evaluation will assess the project’s design and approaches used to achieve its objectives in order to inform future USAID/Haiti programming. Considering the Theory of Change components, this evaluation will consider factors related to partnerships, capacity building, and sustainability. For instance, as a key component of the project, the evaluation will measure whether WATSAN interventions in the 10 communes of implementation have resulted in improved capacity of local utilities and local actors to provide households and communities with sustainable, improved access to water and sanitation services and to what extent the interventions have contributed to improved institutional capacity in the sector.
Haiti ESS is seeking a local Assistant Team Leader/WASH Specialist to support technical and management aspects of the WATSAN evaluation. The assistant Team Leader will be expected to work closely with a Team Leader, the local data collection firm, Haiti ESS and SI headquarters project management teams to ensure quality and timely deliverables.
The evaluation level of effort is approximately 8 – 12 weeks (60 days), inclusive of two to three consecutive weeks (18 days) of data collection and analysis in Haiti (starting from October 2021 to April 2022).
- Collaborate with the team leader on strategic and operational planning, to implement approved Evaluation Design, and ensure compliance with all USAID contractual reporting and financial requirements for the WATSAN final evaluation.
- Participate in the design of the data collection tools, particularly ensuring cultural and sectoral appropriateness and ensure that quality data are collected and reported.
- Participate in sampling design including selection of sample.
- Participate in the data collection and analysis, ensuring data quality.
- Support writing all deliverables associated with the evaluation including, but not limited, to the evaluation design (including tools) and the draft and final reports in conformity with SI and USAID regulations, and the Scope of Work.
- Manage all deadlines and record maintenance—including, but not limited to, collecting, and managing quantitative data and producing notes for all qualitative data collection events for delivery to USAID.
- Provide local context and ensure achievement of deliverables.
- Assist Haiti ESS in maintaining good working relationships with USAID, Government of Haiti counterparts, local organizations, and other program partners.
- Collaborate with the SI headquarters and Haiti ESS staff with strategic and operational planning to implement the approved evaluation design.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Social Science (population and demography), public health or other related fields.
- Documented track record of 7 years’ experience in cordoning, designing, and supporting performance evaluation in the WASH sector. Familiarity with urban utility reform approaches and market-based approaches to service delivery will be an asset.
- A demonstrated background conducting analyses of WASH infrastructure design, functionality, and sustainability will be an asset.
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies (interviews, focus group discussions, survey, etc.) to collect the required data in a timely manner.
- Strong background in capacity building.
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating WASH related activities. Strong background in understanding multi-sectoral development approaches is highly preferred. Know how to foster relationships with diverse local counterparts, including government representatives, DINEPA, the Ministry of Publics Works, Transportation and Communication (MTPTC); private sector, donors, and donor-funded implementers.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation and presentation skills with fluent spoken, written, and reading abilities in English and French. Haitian Creole is highly desirable.
- Work experience with USAID is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of Haitian social, economic, and political dynamics, preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout Haiti to attend to contract implementation tasks.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact and specific opportunities currently available in Haiti, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.