Graduate Water Engineer (UK)
What sort of projects would I work on?
Arriyadh Stormwater Masterplan, Riyadh – The Riyadh Municipality commissioned local engineering consultants to assess the baseline stormwater infrastructure for the city of Riyadh, and to propose a masterplan to upgrade and extend the storm drainage network to serve the rapidly expanding city’s urban development. We undertook a thorough review of hydrology using our extensive knowledge of the Riyadh area, including a comprehensive hydrological review of the Wadi Hanifah and Wadi Sulay catchments that receive both urban stormwater discharge, and runoff from the rural catchments beyond the city limits.
Battersea Power Station, London - The prime riverside development has posed a number of significant challenges and opportunities, not least in the area of flood risk and water resource management. Our engineers have used their extensive knowledge of the site, built up over ten years, to identify sustainable drainage solutions that make use of the tunnels that had originally drawn in water from the Thames to provide the stream to turn the power station turbines.
King Abdullah Economic City, Saudi Arabia - A major new economic centre situated on a high-speed rail station and at the home of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. BuroHappold Engineering was commissioned to review an existing masterplan and address how the client could secure a good economic return from substantial investments already made in the new city’s infrastructure and utilities supply.
What degree could I have studied?
- Water Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Coastal Engineering
What would I do?
- Undertake water resource and flood risk management assessments.
- Support coastal design including harbour design and beach management.
- Work competently on an independent basis, as well as collaborating within the design team.
- Communicate directly with external stakeholders such as the Environment Agency and design team members.
- Complete flood risk assessments and reports, working with software such as QGIS.
- Prepare concept and design drawings and take responsibility for delivering engineering solutions