The Upper Thames River Conservation Authority is currently accepting resumes for the full-time, contract position of GIS Natural Hazards Technician. This contract will be up to 16 months in length.
Reporting to the Water Resources Project Coordinator, the GIS Natural Hazards Technician is responsible for undertaking GIS projects in support of hydraulic/hydrologic models, flood risk mapping, erosion hazard mapping, water control structure safety evaluation, and other applications within the Authority, to protect life and property, promote integrated resource management, and contribute to a healthy watershed ecosystem.
The GIS Natural Hazards Technician is also responsible for assisting with undertaking a variety of projects as-needed related to climate change, the Authority’s Flood Forecasting and Warning System, maintenance of the Authority’s Water and Erosion Control Structures, the Authority’s Low Water Program, and to provide support to other functions within the Water & Information Management Unit and the Authority.
Responsibilities: see website for details
Education, (degree, diploma, certificates, licenses)
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or a diploma from a recognized college in GIS, engineering, geography, science, or another related degree is required, with significant background in GIS and related computer system applications;
- Valid Ontario Drivers Licence required;
- Some experience in resource management, environmental assessment, municipal planning and civil engineering would be preferred;
Skills, Knowledge and Ability
- Familiarity with hydraulic/hydrologic models would be preferred (eg.ArcHYDRO, HEC-GEORAS, PC-SWMM and HEC-GEOHMS);
- Familiarity with geotechnical and geomorphological processes with respect to identifying erosion hazards would be preferred
- A thorough knowledge of computers and computer software packages;
- Excellent communication skills involving staff and diverse stakeholder groups ;
Location: Position to be located in the award winning LEED Platinum Watershed Conservation Centre located in Fanshawe Conservation Area, London.
- $25.46 to $30.98 per hour, 35 hours per week
- OMERS Pension Plan
- Comprehensive Group Insurance Plan
- Flex time available