Uganda nationals: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Officer
Overall purpose of the role:
- To work hand in hand with the WASH Team to ensure the objectives of P4G project is achieved through mobilization of stakeholders and timely implementation of the project.
- Work with local leaders at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Create linkages between the communities and the project, the local government extension staff and the target communities in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, promotion.
- Together with the refugee leadership and government structure, specifically, the RWCs, Health Assistants (HA s), Village Health Teams (VHTs), & Parish Development Committees (PDCs) play a lead role in mapping out communities for village sanitation improvement, especially during the CLTS/PHAST role out exercise Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources
- Formation/training of Water supply and sanitation committees for the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Participate in collection of useful data, success stories and beneficiary lists as required
- Participate in preparing weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Play a lead role in mapping out communities for village sanitation improvement especially during CLTS/PHAST.
- Mobilize beneficiaries to maintain the established, rehabilitated / protected water sources.
- Create linkages between the community and the project, local government extension, staff and the target communities in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Support in tracking distribution of hygiene and sanitation items on a daily/weekly basis.
- Support the Information Management Volunteer with updating NFIs inventory and PR tracker and develop M&E and reporting tool for hygiene promoters
- Conduct daily field visits to support hygiene promoters on implementation of WASH.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least two years of practical experience in developing countries in appropriate community health programmes in different contexts. Some of this time should have been in emergency relief programmes.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disaster-affected populations.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Familiarity with the SPHERE Standards.
- Have Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit.
- Strong organisational skills and able to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and mediation skills and ability to work independently.
- Good report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets.
- Good understanding of WASH approaches such CLTS, PHAS, Umoja and Child to Child etc
- Good interpersonal and good Command of Kiswahili and English.
- Motorbike driving license (Must)
Minimum of Diploma in Public Water Engineering, Bachelor’s degree is an added advantage.
English – fluent
Swahili – fluent
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications close on 17th October 2018.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact