Brecksville, Ohio, USA
Cuyahoga Valley National Park
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
Although you’ll see requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Northeast Ohio Restoration Manager develops, manages and advances the conservation program in Northeast Ohio in concert with the goals and priorities of the Ohio TNC Program.
The Northeast Ohio Restoration Manager provides technical leadership and support to Ohio TNC program to plan and direct restoration and stewardship activities in Northeast Ohio. The incumbent addresses critical threats to natural systems and individual species, fosters cross-site learning among conservation community, and supplies planning teams with information for site portfolios conservation priorities in Northeast Ohio, particularly in the Grand and Cuyahoga River watersheds. The Restoration Manager develops and implements conservation projects and implements a variety of strategies to secure public and private support for TNC conservation priorities. They coordinate community support, manage partner relationships, supervise multiple projects, set deadlines, manage budgets and ensure completion.
The Northeast Ohio Restoration Manager will supervise 3 administrative and professional staff that implement projects across Northeast Ohio on TNC preserves and with conservation partners. They will be the liaison with the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) to improve habitat within the Cuyahoga River watershed and fulfill the agreement between TNC/CVNP. The incumbent will identify, select and seek funding to implement restoration in priority watersheds across Northeast Ohio. They will manage and approve restoration contracts and set priorities for staff and program. The starting salary for this position is $60,000 and is commensurate with experience.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Supervises multi-disciplinary administrative and professional staff, with responsibility for performance management, training and career development.
- Liaise and collaborate with partners and outside parties to accomplish program goals.
- Set and manage Central Lake Erie Basin budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, assisting with budget development, and meeting fundraising targets.
- Ensure program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Performs tasks with minimal supervision and makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience and context.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Writes and interfaces with staff to put together grant proposals to implement restoration work in northeast Ohio
- Manages restoration contracts, Request for Proposals, and construction oversight.
- BA/BS and 5 years’ experience in natural resource management or related field, or equivalent natural resource management experience.
- Experience with ecological land management and restoration principles.
- Experience negotiating complex agreements.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience communicating with the public and/or media both in writing and verbally.
- Experience in invasive species management, wetland delineations, stream assessments, and restoration design.
- Experience using applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Web Browsers.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated
- Knowledge of land management conservation practice and conservation science.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems.
- Ability to explain conservation practices to technical and non-technical audiences
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management, and natural resource preservation.
- Completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Excellent communication skills via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
To apply for job ID 50290, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on October 1, 2021. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact [email protected].
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to [email protected] with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.