Reporting to: Communications and Advocacy Manager
Full-time/Part-time: 32 hours per week
Location: Head office in Ede, Netherlands
Wetlands International is a worldwide, non-profit organisation with 60 years of experience. Our organisation is made up of a network of offices, with outstanding technical staff around the world. By enabling others to safeguard and manage wetlands better, we help to reconcile conflicts over water, reduce the risks and impacts floods and droughts, meet future food needs and tackle climate change. Wetlands act as water sources, sinks and purifiers. They protect our shores. They are Earth’s greatest natural carbon stores. They support abundant and unique nature. But we have lost much of this wetland treasure. Since 1900 more than 64% of freshwater wetlands have been lost through drainage and conversion and much of the rest have been degraded. This leaves people and nature vulnerable. It’s time to reverse this trend. Together with many partners around the world, Wetlands International works to safeguard and restore wetlands to benefit people and nature.
INSIDE Wetlands International: all staff in head office, communication staff in network offices
OUTSIDE Wetlands International: content developers, designers, web developers, copywriters, partner representatives.
The role of the Corporate Communications Officer is to raise the organization’s profile, increase its visibility and reputation with internal and external audiences. He or she also coaches regional offices to improve their execution of communication activities. Using various media channels, the Corporate Communications Officer will develop cohesive messages and products when and where needed.
- Provide support and advice in the development of the organisation’s corporate (internal and external) communications strategy, including how to effectively engage traditional and social media for corporate communications
- Product owner of the Wetlands International website
- Responsible for continuous improvement of websites across all regions in coordination with offices, including design, layout, navigation, graphic user interface, online advertising, and SEO
- Develop and execute communications strategies for key mobilizing moments (national, regional, or international conferences; international awareness and action days; major meetings), including use of print and digital materials, interactive events, or other creative approaches.
- Facilitate networking among communication staff across the network to enhance internal communication flow within the offices
- Develop innovative approaches and materials for corporate target audiences
- Identify and support the development of training tools and curricula and participate as a trainer for workshops on communications and media for the regional offices
Essential skills and experience
- Master’s or other advanced degree in communications, journalism, social sciences, international development, or related field.
- A minimum of three to five of experience in corporate communications, with experience in internal and external communication strategy development in the non-profit sector
- Proven knowledge of content management systems, development of websites and understanding of media queries and responsive/adaptive design (desktop, mobile, tablet)
- Ability to elicit and communicate success stories in versatile formats.
- Demonstrated skill in strengthening capacity and providing technical assistance to local offices on communications.
- Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral in English
- Expert computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, WordPress, CMS, SEO and design software. Technically savvy.
- Belief in and passion for the organisation’s mission
Desired skills and experience
- Communicates complex issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences
- Additional languages, especially French, Spanish, Dutch advantageous
- DTP experience is an asset
How to apply
To apply for this vacancy, please send us a resume and an application letter indicating your motivation to Silva Paronakian, HR Officer ([email protected]). Please mark in the subject: “Application Corporate Communications Officer”. Questions about the vacancy and/or procedure can also be sent to this email address. The closing date is 4 September 2016.