Drawing exceptional professionals from 140 countries, the membership of the International Water Association (IWA) brings together scientists, researchers, technology companies, and water and wastewater utilities, all working to address the world’s most urgent water challenges when and where they arise, from ridge to reef and from catchment to tap. The IWA has become an international reference and source of durable water solutions, products and services that are robust and flexible enough to be universally applicable, easily accessible, and locally adaptable.
Each year IWA organises and supports many specialised conferences and seminars on a wide variety of topics in water management in locations all over the world. The physical location of these conferences demonstrates the truly international nature and global reach of IWA. Furthermore, the conference programme reinforces the name and brand of IWA and provides exposure to non-IWA members.
On average 30 physical and online conferences are organised per year. Some are fully managed and organised from the IWA office in London, UK, some are fully organised by our members (Specialist Groups), and others in partnership (with responsibility shared between IWA office and our members). IWA conferences now use an online system to collect submissions and undertake peer-review as a tool for selecting papers for inclusion in the conference programme.
Under the general supervision of the Global Events Manager, the Events & Awards Officer has the responsibility to support the development of the technical programmes for IWA’s conferences. The Events & Awards Officer will also support the IWA Awards programme implementation, in close connection with the IWA Tier 1 conferences project cycles. You would be joining a multi-national office of dedicated professionals with English as the official language of the association. This position entails the following specific duties and responsibilities:
Administer programme development for the designated conferences organised from the IWA Headquarter. This includes:
- Supporting the online submission and peer review of the technical programme development – papers, posters, trainings and workshops.
- Support the liaison with programme committees and conference organisers.
- Update, upon request, the events website and QA.
- Support the conferences implementation and technical programme onsite and online.
- Contribute, under the general guidance of the line manager, to the conference pre-print proceedings assembly.
Support the Coordination of other designated IWA Conferences
- Support the proposal and approval process for IWA Conferences.
- Support the planning and execution of conference marketing – emails, newsletters, brochure design and production.
- Support post-conference follow-up to obtain reports, reviews and delegate lists.
- Under the direct guidance of the conferences manager, act as the contact point for designated conference related enquiries.
Support the awards programme development
- Setup calls for nominations and award committees.
- Support implementation of award project cycles in full alignment with overall IWA Events & Awards strategy.
- Under the direct guidance of the events manager, act as the contact point for designated awards related enquiries.
- Contribute to awards website development, updates and QA.
Administration and Management Support
- Carry out administrative duties required to function within IWA Secretariat.
- Develop and use work plans to guide work and track results.
- Support the IWA Management in establishing a well-functioning organisation.
- Contribute to the team spirit and excellent ambiance in the IWA Secretariat and in working with partners.
- Undertake other sporadic supporting tasks upon request of the line manager.
The above job description contains the main duties and responsibilities for this position. However in IWA, staff members are expected to show flexibility in their approach to work and be willing to undertake other tasks and missions that are reasonably allocated to them but which are not part of their regular job description. Where any task becomes a regular part of an employee’s responsibilities, the job description will be changed in consultation with the employee and the Global Events Manager.
Qualifications and Experience
The position would suit a recent graduate with an interest in conference management or publishing seeking to work in the environmental and/or not-for-profit sector.
- +2 years’ experience in conferences or/and events management
- Excellent experience with data entry and database management
- Organisational and time management skills with a proven ability to manage competing priorities, monitor and coordinate administrative processes and information flows to meet deadlines
- Mastery of English is essential
- Well-developed verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, including demonstrable ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with people from a variety of cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and also capable of self-starting and initiating activities
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to, and utilise, existing and new office technologies (e.g. computer software, and web-based communication systems)
- Attention to detail
- Eligible to work in the United Kingdom
- Valid passport and willingness to undertake some international travel.
- Knowledge and/or experience of peer review principles and processes;
- Knowledge of Peer Review systems;
- Experience managing online conferences
- Experience working with external suppliers (designers, PCO, software providers);
- Proficiency in additional languages.
Benefits: Pension, private medical insurance, travel insurance, 24 days annual leave (in addition to public holidays)
Duration: Permanent (with 3 months’ probation)
Hours: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date for Applications: 30 September 2021
Reference ID: 2021GE&AO
Application Deadline: 30/09/2021
Expected Start Date: 25/10/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £25,941.00-£30,046.00 per year
- Company pension
- Private medical insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- London E14: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Bachelor’s (preferred)
- Event Management: 2 years (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
5 days ago