We are looking for a senior ecologist with a strong background in wetland and stream ecology to join an interdisciplinary team of scientists, landscape architects, and planners working on restoration and sustainability planning projects throughout the United States—with a specific focus on wetland and stream mitigation projects in California. This position is for a senior level staff member who will be based in our San Diego office and will assist with assembling teams and managing projects company-wide. Candidates must have some combination of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Ecology, Biology, Environmental Science, or related field;
- Approximately 10 years of experience planning, designing, permitting, and managing the construction of stream and wetland mitigation projects;
- Experience leading jurisdictional wetland delineations and overseeing report preparation;
- Familiarity with the flora and fauna of the Western United States, and preferably with other regions of the U.S.;
- Ability to assess areas for their potential as viable restoration or mitigation sites and understand the local, state, and federal regulations that will guide the project;
- Critical thinking with strong problem-solving skills and experience contributing towards complex watershed and restoration planning;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to present scientific solutions to clients in a clear, professional manner; and
- Works well both independently and in a team environment
The ideal candidate has technical expertise and experience with both freshwater and tidal wetland ecologies found in the Western United States, specifically in the California region, and is well versed in planning projects in compliance with regulatory requirements from the Army Corps of Engineers, Environmental Protection Agency, State Water Resources Control Board, California Coastal Commission, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife, among others.
As Great Ecology is in the process of expanding our Mitigation Banking and Environmental Planning & Permitting practices, the ideal candidate would be interested in helping manage related projects. We look forward to interviewing candidates who thrive in a problem-solving environment and are excited to support the Regional Directors and Executive Leadership in growing our business.
This position is an opportunity to join and expand our team of passionate professionals and leaders in the industry who are fully committed to helping to repair the world through “Great Ecology”!
We are seeking applicants who are comfortable and confident with the following responsibilities:
- Assemble technical teams to provide design services, obtain approvals, implement; wetland/stream restoration and mitigation projects, and oversee and manage monitoring efforts at wetland/stream mitigation sites;
- Contribute to comprehensive planning for watersheds, ecological restoration, and conservation projects;
- Work with teams to coordinate and conduct fieldwork, including wetland delineations, biological inventories, groundwater well installation, and monitoring;
- Act as client point of contact for existing projects and for developing new business;
- Guide the preparation of and provide senior review for jurisdictional delineations, biological resources reports, and other technical reports;
- Guide preparation of permit application packages for environmental regulatory agencies (e.g., waters, wetlands, state and federal endangered species);
- Lead as program or project manager for large, multi-year contracts while providing superior client service and management;
- Set the direction for large proposal efforts and oversee production of small proposals; and
- Coordinate with Regional Directors on staffing allocations and teaming opportunities.
Skills & Experience
We are seeking applicants who meet the following qualifications:
- Experience working with regulators to obtain environmental permits;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to clearly and concisely; communicate complex ideas as a writer and public speaker;
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills: confidence in dealing with clients and team members at all levels and functions of the organization;
- Ability to solve complex problems and provide innovative, unique solutions;
- Strong organizational and project management skills;
- Self-starter who can work independently and is rigorously detail-oriented; and
- Advanced experience in MS Office Suite.
Preference may be given to applicants who provide these skills or are interested in developing them:
- Professional Wetland Scientist Certification;
- Master’s Degree or higher;
- Familiarity with mitigation and/or conservation banking;
- Proficient in GIS ArcMap, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and construction documents;
- Experience with wetland functional assessments (e.g., Evaluation for Planned Wetlands), ecologic/economic modeling (i.e., Habitat Equivalency Analysis), and market assessments;
- Familiarity with Natural Resource Damages (NRD) and other state and federal frameworks for regulating natural resources; and/or
- Demonstrated experience in networking with regional organizations that would promote Great Ecology’s brand in the development of new business.