Land and Water Specialist
The FAO sub-regional Office for Central Africa is responsible for developing, promoting, supervising and implementing agreed strategies for achieving the sub region’s priority objectives for food, agriculture and rural development. It establishes and maintains relations with institutions throughout the sub-region, including two regional economic integration organizations (ECCAS and CAEMC). It assists the FAO Representations of the sub-region to address at the national level, issues related to food security, agriculture and rural development that arise at the sub-regional level. The sub-regional offices are subsidiary bodies of the FAO Regional Office.
The incumbent works at the headquarters of the sub-regional office for Central Africa (SFC).
The international consultant will be under the overall supervision of the sub-regional Coordinator and under the direct supervision of the Lands and Water Officer located at RAF.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of sub-Regional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
- Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
- Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Assist countries in the identification and formulation of programmes and projects in the field of land and water resources development and management and land tenure.
- Provide technical backstopping for the implementation and monitoring of national and sub-regional projects on land and water development and management;
- Help in establishing priorities for FAO assistance to countries as well as in establishing networks of experts in the sub-region on land and water management issues.
- Assist countries in the formulation of policies, strategies and guidelines in sustainable soil and water management.
- Identify and promote the adoption of good practices in sustainable soil and water management.
- Assist in the development of national capacities on land and water development and management, including its inclusion in extension delivery and in training curricula.
- Assist in the development of knowledge products and help promote and strengthen knowledge sharing between different stakeholders in the sub-region.
- Organize and participate in sub-regional workshops, seminars and conferences in soil and water management and sustainable natural resources management in general.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in natural resources management, environment, hydrology or related field in agriculture/water engineering.
- Seven (7) years of relevant experience in land and water resources and environmental related activities, including ecosystem assessment and management.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two, or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge of land and water resources assessment/management tools and methods.
- Extent and relevance of experience in analyzing land and water management.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the use of participated and integrated (cross-sectorial) resources-use planning and territorial development tools and methods, ecosystem assessment/management and geo-statistical/ spatial analysis for sustainable area development.
Ability to mobilize resources.