Portfolio Data Analyst (Water Development and Sanitation Department)
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and, (iii) develop new financing instruments. The Vice President will act as the spoke person with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is responsible for the coordination of the Bank's water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s (Power and Light Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life). Through its two Divisions: AHWS.l for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS.2 for water security and sanitation, and the African Water Facility (AWF), the Department supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank's contribution to Africa's efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
The Portfolio Data Analyst will assist officials and staff of the Department in: (i) collecting, providing and processing structured data on the water related portfolio in the Department and across other water-user units as necessary; (ii) pooling and organizing information on the work program and its monitoring; (iii) managing data related to the Bank’s water-related operations (completed/under implementation/in the pipeline) and ongoing or new initiatives; and, (iv) contributing to preparation of periodic reports on the sector activities in the Bank.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director of AHWS, and in close collaboration with the Division Managers and Coordinator of AWF, the Portfolio Data Analyst will be perform the following tasks:
1. Collect, provide and process structured data on the Bank’s water sector-related operations (including outputs and outcomes, financing sources and data, etc.) and on the water-related initiatives (AWF, RWSSI, WPP, and any others);
2. Design business intelligence tools for the water sector activities in the Bank, and maintain a projects database;
3. Prepare monthly, quarterly and ad hoc reports on the Department’s portfolio management and performance;
4. Coordinate and liaise with the Task Managers based in the 5 Regional Hubs and constantly keep up-to-date with the latest knowledge and data on water-related operations;
5. Coordinate preparation and monitoring of the administrative budget. Participate in identification of resource requirements for submission and administration of the budget; recommend, if necessary, the reallocation of funds; coordinate data on mobilization of bilateral resources;
6. Coordinate preparation and monitoring of the annual work program and quarterly mission schedules of the Department. Regularly update work programs on the basis of established processing schedule;
7. Coordinate preparation of annual activity reports and portfolio analysis reports;
8. Support management to coordinate responses to enquiries concerning the Bank’s activities in the water sector;
9. Carry out analytical tasks and support research on a wide range of operational, country and regional water sector related issues;
10. Contribute to preparing briefing material on country/sector and project issues;
11. Provide technical assistance to staff of the Department in the use of Bank IT systems (SAP-PS; BPPS, SRAS)
12. Track the Bank's performance towards supporting Africa to attain water security in line with the draft water policy and the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework;
13. Liaise regularly with other key units of the Bank , notably Delivery Performance Management and Results, Independent Evaluation, as well as Resource Mobilization and Partnerships; and,
14. Support whenever needed the implementation of programs and activities under the water sector portfolio.
15. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Holds at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Business Management, and Information Technology or in a related discipline.
2. Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience.
3. Proven ability to manage and deliver many products and projects within the required time.
4. Good working knowledge of operations, particularly the information required for project cycle activities and portfolio management, planning, work programs, budget preparation and financial management of MDBs.
5. Demonstrable analytical and report preparation skills.
6. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French. A working knowledge of the other will be an asset.
7. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); practical knowledge of SAP – Project Support.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG