Requisition ID: req20072
Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: May-Ayni, Shire, Ethiopia
Summary Statement of Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the SHP Officer, the Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Assistant (SHP Assistant) is a junior level position that involves planning, management and monitoring the proper functioning of the Hygiene Promotion and sanitation activities in Refugee Camp and nearby hosting community. The position requires supervising a team of refugee social workers, organizing and training hygiene promoters and Volunteers and improving the quality of the program in the camp as well as in host community. The position also requires proper management of the financial, material and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors.
- Assis the SHP officer in implementing all activities related to sanitation, hygiene promotion in IRC Refugee camp/IDPs centers
- Recruit, train, manage and supervise refugee camp/IDP center Environmental Health Agents (EHAs), WASH facility attendants and Solid waste collectors
- Support the SHP officer in designing and undertaking the quantitative and qualitative assessments to identify risky hygiene behaviors.
- Coordinate in site location, mobilizing and educating the refugee/IDP to build latrines and waste management alternatives and promoting appropriate sanitation options at household, communal, and school settings in the camp and schools in local communities
- Plan and organize distribution of emergency supplies to the community
- Conduct clients joint targeting, verification and distribution of the NFIs distribution
- Mobilize the targeted communities for NFIs/ distribution, Hygiene awareness and facilitate the hygiene campaign with mobile van considering the COVID19 risk mitigation
- Establish/implement Client feedback mechanism
- Monitor and supervise hygiene promotion activities like household and communal latrines utilization, solid and liquid waste management, hand washing, and safe water management at household level.
- Initiate procurement to ensure adequate supplies for hygiene promotion activities.
- Integrate with relevant partners (ARRA, Refugee or other NGO’s and GO’s) in identifying and developing appropriate hygiene promotion messages for the camp/IDP centers and local community.
- Facilitate in the selection, designing, pre-testing, developing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate hygiene educational materials for effective hygiene promotion program in the camp.
- Facilitate in organizing EH hygiene promotion trainings and workshops for the environmental health agents and latrine attendants and other partners (women groups, health agents, water committee, etc. in the camp/IDP center) and coordinate in preparation and organizing all the required training materials
- Support in promoting practical refugee participatory approaches and effective hygiene education techniques for enhancing hygienic behavior and sanitation.
- Assist in providing consultation and technical assistance in EH program regarding to water quality and safe water management in the camp/IDP centers.
- Participate on meetings regarding EH hygiene promotion/sanitation as advised by the supervisor.
- Facilitate in documenting Environmental health related data and keep records on activities of hygiene promotion and sanitation.
- Prepare monthly reports and submit to the supervisors on the work progress of hygiene promotion and sanitation activities.
- Document and share lessons learned and success stories in relation to hygiene promotion
- Participate in other emergency response WASH activities as assigned by the supervisor
- BSc degree or Diploma in environmental health, sanitary engineering or relevant field.
- Have technical background and knowledge in environmental health and demonstrated work experience in designing and implementing sanitation and hygiene promotion/hygiene education programs.
- At least 1years experience for BSc Degree or 3 years experiences for Diploma on managing sanitation and Hygiene promotion programs; NGO experience is advantageous.
- Knowledge and experience in excreta disposal, solid waste, hygiene promotion and vector control activities
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Capable of training refugee groups and motivating community support.
- Operational knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Experience in participatory techniques and community mobilization.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain and prioritize work under pressure and able to work in an insecure environment.
- Fluency in English (Oral and Written); Tigrigna language is a plus advantage for the position
- Self-motivated, honest, responsible, and punctual; ability to work in a team with low supervision.
- Computer literate especially word and excel.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English language.
- Good communication and interpersonal skill.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.