General purpose of the position
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS has proposed a one-year multi sector project, with a WaSH component to respond to WaSH needs in Ngala, Bama, Magumeri and Dikwa LGAs, Borno State. The project aims to improve community engagements and access to safe water and preventive sanitation and hygiene promotion best practices against WASH related illnesses in IDP camps and the host community in the target areas. The WaSH Activity Manager will provide technical oversight and guidance to quality implementation, monitoring and reporting of WASH pillars of these projects.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Be responsible for leading in informing the technical design, planning, implementation, direct supervision, and technical oversights of the mission’s WaSH projects in line with the approved proposals and any applicable national and international humanitarian guidelines and standards.
- Leads in the managing of quality construction of all WaSH infrastructures, ensuring maintenance and sustainability.
- Ensures that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted with reports being made.
- Ensures integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensures reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
- Assesses existing project (s) activities and recommend actions to be taken.
- Inputs into the development of the country strategy, new projects and donor proposals.
- Supports the Project Manager and the WASH specialist in analyzing former infrastructure and WASH projects and budgets in order to improve project and budget quality and procedures.
- Manages and oversee recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals,
- Holds monthly team meetings with the teams, review objectives, inform them of issues relevant to their work and provide feedback and ensure they receive coaching and training.
- Promotes the health and security of the teams by providing support to the Project Manager in developing security guidelines and ensuring healthy living conditions and practices.
- On occasions work with casual labor or other INTERSOS staff (hiring, coordinating workload, payment).
- Plans, develop and manage budgets for the assigned projects, including developing BoQs for WASH constructions and rehabilitation.
- Coordinates and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned teams.
- Develops and maintain regular and supportive communication structures with teams and stakeholders.
- Represents INTERSOS at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, Donors, sector.
- Manages the procurement of all necessary Infrastructure and WASH supplies and equipment.
- Ensures the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all equipment.
- Develops projects specific handling of field depot in order to better track movement of goods.
- Implements relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Any other task as assigned.
- BSc/MSc in Water/Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology/ Geology desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- At least 3 years’ post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Aptitude for community mobilization and capacity-building. Good communicator.
- Able to prioritize, to enforce procedures and to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Leadership and project management skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with the team, beneficiaries and other agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
- Possession of a valid practicing certificate
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete this form and attach CV with the following format “Surname Position you applied for”. ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: Apply no later than 20th September 2021
INTERSOS does not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment.