Do you want to contribute towards solving one of the most important issues of our generation?
At Waterplan we work in long-term water security within the context of climate change adaptation.
Waterplan is a fast-growing startup in the Climate Tech Space that develops a SaaS platform for companies to manage water availability in their facilities.
The platform combines companies’ operational data with local water satellite imagery to provide a real-time financial assessment of water risk. Based on that, it offers tailored mitigation and adaptation opportunities, from conventional infrastructure to nature-based solutions.
By showing companies the business case for mitigating water risk, Waterplan will accelerate their transition to a world where companies are incentivized to save more water, abate the discharge of polluting effluents, conserve watersheds and preserve shared value.
Due to continued growth, we are looking for a Geospatial Hydrologist / Physical Geographer specialized in GIS and Remote Sensing to join our Product team.
You will be working in a fully remote distributed team across multiple disciplines at a science-oriented company and you will do this hand in hand with Matias Comercio, CoFounder and CPO at Waterplan.
At Waterplan you will be working in the first company in the water tech space focused on water risks triggered by climate change, this will provide you the chance to work at the forefront of our industry.
We are a dedicated and talented team and have ambitious growth targets planned for the next few years.
If you are interested in the Climate Tech sector, you have an entrepreneurial spirit and a lot of drive, we want to get to know you!
About your core focus:
The hydrology department at Waterplan leads the research, development, and analysis of all issues related to water, which is pivotal to the company. The department is in charge of applying the latest models and techniques to scrutinize different types of water risks (both short and long term) faced by different companies and organizations around the world. This includes watershed shape delineation, hazards detection, calculating different components of water balance including precipitation, evapotranspiration, changes in soil moisture, and runoff, and deducing long-term natural water balance, amongst others. Further, as per the needs and requirements of different clients, the department needs to adapt and carry out different analyses at suitable temporal and spatial scales. This includes spatial data creation, data management, spatial analysis, map production, and other project outputs.
This position includes the following duties and responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Guide the selection, design, and implementation of models and techniques that can be automated and scaled to uniformly analyze water aspects around the world.
- Conduct geospatial analysis providing in-depth analysis and conclusion for a multi-disciplinary internal team.
- Drive GIS opportunities and undertake client engagement.
- Maintain current knowledge of GIS technology and how it can be applied to improve the operations, productivity, and efficiency of the company in all corporate initiatives and engineering study types, regardless of the industry.
- Propose new GIS methodologies and solutions to enhance the state-of-the-art analysis that Waterplan can offer through its product
- Effectively manage project-related and business spatial datasets
Skills and qualifications:
- +3 years of experience in the Water Industry
- Demonstrated working experience with spatial modeling, remote sensing, landscape mapping, and data analysis.
- Master’s level degree in Physical Geography or Water Resources Management from a recognized water institute.
- High level of competency in working with any GIS platform, especially open-access software such as QGIS.
- Experience in using different Remote Sensing products including Sentinel Hub, NASA Earthdata, QGIS, among others.
Our values: Think long term, Iterative excellence, Thoughtful discussion, Make others successful.