|Job title||VAC-6317 Civil Engineer: Monitoring of Results & UWA Performance|
|Duration||0 year 3 months|
|Qualification||Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering is required, Master’s Degree would be an asset & may substitute some of the required years of experience. Technical Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Water or Environmental Engineering (or similar) could be accepted if the applicant has enough experience with urban water infrastructure & utilities (Essential).|
|Sector experience||Minimum of 4 year/s of demonstrable relevant Engineering – Civil experience(Essential).|
|Geographical experience||Minimum of 4 year/s of experience in Africa (Essential).|
|Languages||fluent in English (Essential).|
fluent in Arabic (Essential).
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
As part of the UK govt’s. support Sudan’s efforts to move, where possible, to longer term & more sustainable development, the FCDO has supported our client to implement “Urban Water in Darfur” project. The project is aimed at increasing of the availability & reliability of water sources in the 4 state capital towns of Darfur in Sudan. The project output to date enabled access to clean drinking water for an estimated 400,000 people, in 2 states & the project also supports improved water supply management in 2 further states. The project is jointly implemented by UNICEF & our client. The UW4D project has 4 key components:
- Infrastructure maintenance, upgrading & expansion to provide access to water to 400,000 people in El Fasher & Zalingei. This component is substantively complete & water is being provided to the target communities.
- Master planning for 4 towns. Master plans in 3 volumes (infrastructure, institutional & financial components) were completed in 2018 for El Fasher & Zalingei. Which will then be updated in 2021. Master plans will be prepared in 2021 for Geneina & Nyala.
- Capacity building of urban water authorities. Capacity building initiatives are under way in all 4 towns, using problem driven analysis & project based improvement strategies. The projects are results focused & integrate across HR, logistics, procurement & technical aspects. Capacity building supports institutional strengthening with limited training of individuals, the latter being focused on on the job training & specially developed training sessions, rather than external courses.
- Framework for managing urban water utilities in Sudan. This component represents a knowledge management, dissemination, & upscaling initiative, to share learning & commence interactions at a federal level to address systemic challenges facing utilities. The component is due to commence in May 2021.
This TOR relates primarily to the 3rd component (capacity building), with some input to the 2nd component (master planning).
The focus of the Civil Engineer for the contract period will be support our client & the UWAs to monitor the results of the project & the performance improvement in the UWAs & to support the UWAs to develop capacity to monitor their performance. The project results relate to infrastructure outputs, outcomes, impacts, outcomes & impact of urban water utility capacity building & planning interventions. The Civil Engineer will be responsible for measuring the project performance against the log frame indicators & measuring the UWA performance against the institutional indicators. The intent is that the UWAs undertake the bulk of the work on their own performance management & the incumbent will provide support to facilitate the delivery of the outputs & develop the capacity of the UWA staff to undertake the tasks. Using the methodology & templates provided by the Project Monitoring & Evaluation Adviser, the Civil Engineer will:
- Measure outputs & outcomes using available data & by implementing projects to do interviews & field assessments (surveys) where necessary.
- Build capacity in the UWA to prepare / update their system of tracking & reporting against their agreed performance indicators.
- Support the UWA to implement agreed institutional strengthening & personnel capacity building projects related to performance monitoring.
- Work closely with the engineers supporting capacity development of the UWAs.
The Civil Engineer will be supported by the PM & an international monitoring & indicator expert (working remotely). The Civil Engineer will act as the team member on the ground & will be responsible for facilitating & coordinating the monitoring work for our clients deliverables & with the UWAs. The incumbent will participate in:
- Inputting lessons learned on the project.
- Providing technical input & lessons learned to the materials developers for training materials that emerge from the project.
- Monitoring & documenting the results of the capacity building / reform initiatives.
- Supporting the sharing of lessons.
- Supporting the communities of practice & town hall sessions that promote interaction between the UWAs & sharing of lessons learned.
Related specific responsibilities:
- Collect data, analyze & present data on outputs, outcomes, & impact of our clients UW4D project in all localities.
- Oversee the implementation of performance monitoring in all UWAs in the UW4D program support UWAs to implement the monitoring systems, including training on data gathering, analysis & reporting.
- Support the PM on project compliance, monitoring & reporting.
- Support the development of a monitoring plan.
- Collect water schemes operational data, assets maintenance records, beneficiaries.
- Oversee collection of survey information needed for monitoring & results measurement.
- Support UWA to undertake baseline (preliminary) surveys.
- Support the UWA staff to undertake quality assurance of results.
- Preparation of project / contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, agreements, etc.
- Assist in providing training & technology transfer to national personnel.
- Represent our client in project implementation activities in the field, as directed by the PM & the Senior Engineer to ensure that our clients procedures & the standards adhere to all project implementation activities.
- Support the PM & the program team in any other job related matter as required.
- Represent our client in project implementation activities in the field, as directed by the project, to ensure that our client procedures & the standards adhere to all project implementation activities.
The contractors will jointly deliver:
- Project monitoring plan.
- Monthly monitoring reports on each UWA.
- Field surveys of 4 towns.
- Monitoring data included in quarterly & annual reports.
- Technical input & lessons learned input to training materials on monitoring of UWA performance.
- KPIs database, training materials & reports.
This role will report to the PM & will be required to report on monthly progress reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering is required, Master’s Degree would be an asset & may substitute some of the required years of experience. Technical Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Water or Environmental Engineering (or similar) could be accepted if the applicant has enough experience with urban water infrastructure & utilities.
- At least 4 years of experience in water supply projects in the urban environment is required.
- Experience working with govt. water utilities / institutions would be preferred.
- Experience in managing water projects or in management in govt. water institutions would be desirable.
- Previous experience in monitoring project performance would be preferred.
- Experience in preparing reports on project progress is desirable.
- Work experience in Darfur is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken & written English & Arabic is required.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking / presentation, preparation of presentations, preparation of communication documents & technical report writing.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Capacity development in technical staff.
- Utility management (technical areas).
- Integrity & inclusion.
- Leading self & others.
- Results orientation.
- Solution focussed.
- Effective communication.
Team management: This role has no team management responsibility.
Further information: Qualilfied female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.