The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) has an exciting opportunity for a Research Officer who will contribute to various projects in Central Asia. The person will mainly contribute to the Hydropower for you: Sustainable small-scale hydropower in Central Asia (Hydro4U) project, a Horizon 2020 project funded by the European Union. The aim of the Hydro4U project is to demonstrate innovative and sustainable hydropower solutions targeting unexplored small-scale hydropower potential in Central Asia (i.e., Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan).
Reporting to the Country Manager – Uzbekistan, the Research Officer will contribute to research activities related to policy, environmental (water, climate change), technical (energy, engineering), governance and political economy perspectives at multiple scales. The incumbent will contribute to the IWMI-led Work Package ‘Accountability and benefits sharing in the context of the water-food-energy-climate nexus in Central Asia’ under Hydro4U project and provide input to the other relevant Work Packages where IWMI has an allocated role.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A university degree relevant to the field of work, preferably in renewable energy (hydropower), hydropower development (engineering, energy planning, water resources management) or natural science, and ideally a certified degree in project management (Project Management Professional [PMP]).
- Three to five years of proven professional experience in the implementation and management of projects in energy, water or natural resources.
- Efficient with the ability to work towards achieving goals.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access).
- Knowledge of online communication tools for virtual teamworking and project management software is highly desirable.
- Proven professional experience in planning, developing, delivering and leading interactive workshops, seminars and trainings.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and risk management.
- Excellent decision-making and leadership skills with proven experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, such as time management, team coordination and supervision.
- Attention to detail and multitasking skills.
- Team spirit, empathy, reliability, self-motivation, and respect for all project members.
- Availability to travel (domestic and international) to attend project meetings, trainings, fieldwork and events.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Russian languages.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
This is a nationally recruited position and only citizens of Uzbekistan are encouraged to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, inclusive of health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, and long-term disability coverage. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of three years with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, a cover letter that addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
Applications will be received through 24:00 (IST) on September 24, 2021 (Friday). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.