World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: Project Officer – WASH – Ntwetwe Integrated WASH Project
Report to: Project Coordinator – WASH
Location: Kiboga District
Purpose of the position:
The Project Officer – WASH will provide day to day management of the Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activities as detailed in the Ntwetwe Integrated WASH project to improve child well-being through access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation.
Quality Project Implementation
- Ensure all the technical work is completed with the desired quality and according to schedule
- Actively contribute to planning and guiding the implementation of WASH activities and follow-up to ensure project is on track to achieve intended goals
- Lead the assessments of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) situation in the project areas (Schools, Health facilities and communities)
- Facilitate the promotion of good WASH practices and active engagement of Stakeholders and beneficiaries in transforming their communities for WASH and Inclusion
- Strengthen capacity and sustainable WASH management systems.
- Build the capacities of project staff, key project partner staff and community structures in participatory methodologies such as PHAST, CLTS etc to encourage their participation in project activities.
- Lead the development and distribution of all training materials/ guides to deliver training in schools – to the children, teachers and community members as an ongoing capacity building strategy
Reporting and documentation
- Provide weekly and monthly progress and reports to management.
- Develop and share success stories on the WASH component
Networking, collaboration and representation
- Participate in the district level, Inter-Agency and coordination meetings as advised by the project manager
- Collaborate and Network with partners operating in the project area (e.g. WASH implementing partners, private-sector, NGOs and CBOs).
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- The ideal applicant for the World Vision Project Officer – WASH must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Water Resource, Public Health, Environmental health, or WASH related field from a recognized institution.
- At least two years of previous work experience in a development setting in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene program design, implementation
- Experience in facilitating any of the WASH participatory like PHAST, CLTS, Sanitation Marketing, Behavior, Change Communication and other related innovative hygiene and sanitation approaches that are necessary for the promotion of hygiene and sanitation interventions.
- Be highly knowledgeable about WASH sector policies and guidelines and key challenges affecting WASH implementation in Uganda.
- Experience in community mobilization and empowerment interventions
- Good communication and analytical skills
- Computer literate
- He/she must be willing to ride and must have a valid riding permit