The Clean Water Advocate is responsible for elevating Upstate Forever’s Clean Water work and persuading key decision-makers to protect the water resources of Upstate SC. Responsibilities include developing strategy and messaging, advocacy, coalition-building, generating media placements and visibility, fundraising, and coordinating grassroots efforts. This full-time position reports to the Energy and State Policy Director, works closely with the Clean Water team, is based in Upstate Forever’s Greenville or Spartanburg office and includes travel throughout the state.
- Advocacy: Build relationships with key players on clean water issues at the state and local level. Represent Upstate Forever’s positions publicly with elected officials, city and county administrative and planning staff, and the general public of South Carolina.
- Coalition building: Engage support from diverse and powerful allies and cultivate relationships with them over time. Participate in community events to build and maintain positive relationships throughout the community. Participate in key state and local stakeholder groups and take a lead role on issues of specific interest to Upstate Forever.
- Media and visibility: Elevate Upstate Forever’s Clean Water work by increasing media attention and online visibility using social media posts, as well as reports, press releases, talking points, op-eds, and letters to the editor.
- Program development: Participate in program development, engage in research, and help create strategies and powerful messaging for our clean water program.
- Grassroots mobilization: Support our efforts to mobilize citizens on our campaigns by providing compelling and timely information and opportunities for action.
- Fundraising: Prepare grant proposals, and continually promote Upstate Forever in an effort to recruit new members and donors.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Masters or combination of education and 5 years of experience in Clean Water advocacy work preferred.
- Excellent writing and policy analysis skills.
- Oral advocacy experience and comfort speaking in varied settings, including with legislators and media.
- Strong understanding of water policy and water quality issues in Upstate SC.
- Strategic thinker; self-starter, collaborator, highly organized and able to meet deadlines independently.
- Ability to participate in teams that work collaboratively towards shared outcomes.
- Willingness to travel, mostly locally but occasionally overnight.
Upstate Forever is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $37,000.00 to $42,000.00 /year