South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
In light of increasing demand for climate scenario analysis and risk services from global agribusinesses, South Pole is seeking to recruit an intern to join our global community of climate risk experts. As an Intern, your main task will be to help our clients to understand, identify and assess the risks climate change has on the agricultural side of their business and supply chain (e.g. large fashion retailers buying cotton). This is done by educating them on climate related vulnerabilities within crop growth and by supporting the integration of agronomy and crop modelling into South Pole’s existing tool for assessing local physical climate change risks. For this, various methods can be used, e.g. using crop models (e.g. AquaCrop, DSSAT 47, etc) or via the development of specific climate indicators informed by desk research/interviews with experts.
Next to this, you will support the team with the development of proposals and implementation projects focused on climate risk and opportunity assessment using scenario analysis, in line with the recommendations from the TCFD. This involves a variety of tasks, such as research, information and data analysis, and contributing to high quality deliverables and proposals.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Assist with the integration of agronomy into South Pole’s existing climate change risk assessment framework
- Assist with proposal/deliverable preparation and completion for the corporate sector on climate risks and opportunities including both technical and administrative requirements, for our international clients
- Contribute to the implementation of consultancy mandates, by conducting tasks such as development and organisation of workshops and stakeholder consultations
- Support business development through desktop research and drafting materials to be shared with possible clients and partners
- Topics of engagement may include sustainability and corporate supply chain risks with particular focus on climate change for large international companies.
- Recently graduated or about to graduate from university in Environmental Sciences, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering or related disciplines
- Experience in handling (large) quantities of data using for example SQL (MySQL), Python (Numpy, Pandas)
- Experience in using Geospatial Information Systems Strong understanding of crop growth cycles and agronomy e.g. through education / training, and/or work or practical experience
- Ability to conduct desk research tasks
- Good writing skills, with the ability to contribute to high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Good communication and collaboration skills with clients, team members and other relevant stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written skills in English.
- Analytical skills and mindset
- Experience in working with crop models (e.g. AquaCrop, DSSAT, etc.)
- Understanding of the science of climate change
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.