- Job number: BBV01091
- Company/Division: HS2
- Career area: Design Engineering
- Country: UK
- Location: UK, West Midlands, Birmingham
- Contract type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Water Framework Lead to join our team to work across the West Midlands Region.
- Helps develop robust and comprehensive WFD and any Water Flood Risk design deliverables to deal with environmental risks, CRTs, U&As, Technical Standards, UK best practices working collaboratively with the whole project team in order to achieve EMR Compliance and L3 Certification.
- Accountable for fit for purpose Water Framework Directive methodologies and assumptions that can withstand external scrutiny.
- Review of design deliverables related to WFD & Water (WFD Compliance Reports, water monitoring requirement, water reports)
What you’ll be doing
- Co-ordinate with DJV discipline leads the development of the Basis of Design (Stage 2 DD) in Water Framework Directives
- Organise and attend with DJV WFD leads key-meetings, workshops with HS2 technical leads, Environmental Agency, Water companies, Local Authorities to facilitate consent pre-engagement and get the approval of BBV design;
- Review and assure all deliverables related to the Water Framework Directives disciplines in liaison with Sub-lots Environmental Design Engineers;
- Provide technical expertise/ support for Environmental & Design team in Water Framework Directive matters
- Provide technical leadership on Water Framework Directive matters.
- Design and deliver specific workstreams in the WFD aspects of the N1&N2 programme to ensure statutory and other requirements are met fully and within agreed timeframes.
- Contribute strongly to ensuring BBV complies with relevant legislation and accords to best practice.
- Develop good working relationships and negotiate with the Environment Agency, Lead local Flood Authorities and other relevant stakeholders to cost balance mitigation measures for the impacts of N1&N2 scheme.
- Prepare and review DJV deliverables to ensure the N1&N2 programme designs in and mitigates its impact on receptors specifically with regard to the WFD.
- Interface and liaise with the Environment Agency to provide rapid feedback, information exchange, discussion of ongoing results, efficiency of techniques and lessons learnt.
- Undertaking external liaison with local authority stakeholders (notably Lead Local Flood Authorities), Environment Agency and other organisations on compliance with the WFD and aquatic ecology matters throughout the life of the project.
Who we’re looking for
- BSc in a relevant subject (e.g. aquatic science or other science discipline). MSc in water science or related subject.
- Chartered Membership of relevant professional body (if not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered after joining).
- Experienced with dealing with Environmental Agency, water companies and LLFA on such issues;
- Experienced with Water consent applications and pre-engagement with Statutory bodies;
- Knowledge of related legislation, policy and best practice guidance.
- Knowledge of surrounding and interacting disciplines, such as surface water/ flood risk, groundwater, drainage, contaminated land and ecology.
- A high level of expertise and understanding of the Water Framework Directive.
- Have a good practical knowledge of biodiversity and habitat issues.
- Technical review of interrelated reports.
- Technical review of complex catchment scale WFD assessments (ideally with experience in exemptions to the WFD objectives) relating to surface water, groundwater, contamination, transport and civil engineering challenges.
- Working on a variety of projects and particularly large scale construction projects at optioneering, EIA, design and construction stages.
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2’s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people’s personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK’s infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We’ve successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.