(Re-Advertisement) Foreign Service Limited Position Opportunity – Program Officer (Data
Scientist) – FL-0343-02
● Agency: U.S. Agency for International Development
● Organization: Bureau for Resilience and Food Security (RFS), Policy and Analysis Office (PA)
● Location of Position: Washington, DC
● Open Period: August 24th – September 29 , 2021
● Appointment Type: This is an excepted service, time-limited appointment that is not-to-exceed
five (5) years
● Salary: (USD) $111,699 – (USD) $164,033 (annually)
● Number of Vacancies: 1
Description of Organization: This position is located in the Policy and Analysis Office (PA) of
USAID’s Bureau for Resilience and Food Security (RFS). RFS’s mission is to partner to advance
inclusive agriculture-led growth, resilience, nutrition, and access to water and sanitation to accelerate and
protect progress on the Journey to Self-Reliance. RFS oversees four high-level, integrated efforts in
support of this mission: (1) Feed the Future, guided by the Global Food Security Strategy (GFSS), (2) the
USAID Multi-Sector Nutrition Strategy, (3) the U.S. Global Water Strategy, and (4) efforts to increase
resilience in areas of recurrent humanitarian crisis. To deliver on this work, RFS partners with other
Federal Departments and Agencies, USAID Bureaus and Missions, universities, civil society, and other
public- and private-sector actors.
Description of Position: The incumbent will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
● Plays a lead technical role in supporting the Bureau’s Analytics Hub, including providing expert-level technical support for assessing impacts of the initiatives the Bureau supports.
● Conducts critically needed analysis and provides technical advice based on analytics and
evidence to Bureau, Mission, and interagency staff to improve program strategy, design,
implementation, and performance measurement.
● Advises and mentors Bureau staff on how to develop and refine analytic, strategic and
programmatic approaches to best account for lessons learned and likely future developments.
● Conducts ad hoc and special analyses to provide input to strategic planning, policy development,
performance reporting, program design, speeches, Congressional inquiries, and other program
documents related to the initiatives that RFS supports.
● Applies innovative data science techniques to development challenges that RFS prioritizes.
● Designs, develops, and delivers novel data analysis and visualization products using cutting-edge
or emergent analytical approaches (e.g., machine vision, machine learning, advanced image
processing, natural language processing).
● Serves as a member of the Analytics Hub leadership team, helping to effectively prioritize and
implement key analysis and learning work streams.
● Serves as a key point of contact with persons and groups both inside and outside of USAID on
issues of analytics and strategy related to food security and resilience. Presents analytic findings
to internal and external groups.
● Interacts and coordinates closely with U.S. universities and international research institutions,
bilateral and multilateral donors, other U.S. agencies and departments, host governments and
regional organizations, UN programs and agencies, think tanks, private voluntary organizations
and non-governmental organizations, and Congressional staff.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Must have an advanced quantitative degree such as Statistics, Bioinformatics, Physics, Math,
Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, or related technical field
● Must have demonstrated experience with relevant platforms for innovative or emerging
analytical approaches (e.g., artificial intelligence or machine learning frameworks like Google
TensorFlow, Amazon ML, Scikit-Learn)
● Must have strong quantitative background and experience in data collection or compilation,
cleaning, processing, and applied analysis and visualization using statistical software or
programming languages (e.g., Python, R, Stata, SPSS, MATLAB, Tableau)
● Experience conducting analysis related to food security, nutrition, and/or water security is
● Must be a U.S. citizen.
● Must have one year of specialized innovative analytics experience equivalent to the next lower
grade level of FSL03 / GS-13.
● Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Secret level security clearance.
Interested candidates should submit a:
● A short written statement of interest; and
● Official or unofficial transcripts, if education is noted as a requirement above.
Please submit your application package to [email protected] Please use the subject line “FSL
APPLICATION PACKAGE: #33035 Program Officer, FSL02, RFS/PA.” Application submissions are
required by 11:59 pm (EST), September 29, 2021. Packages not submitted by the deadline with
the specified subject line—or incomplete packages—will not receive consideration.
Any questions concerning this notice may be directed to:
— Marcus Dinkins, RFS/AMS, 202-712-5080, [email protected]