Minimum age: 35 years old. Applicants must nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the National Programme Coordinator of Jordan, the National UN Volunteer Expert will be responsible for supervising the rehabilitation and construction works for UN-Habitat projects in Jordan. The candidate must be based in Amman during project activities requiring her/his physical presence for execution of activities that require that, with frequent field visits to the project’s sites as per the guidance of the supervisor. The UNV Supervising Engineer will undertake the following tasks:
Coordination, Delivery, and Performance
- Provide technical guidance and support to UN-Habitat Jordan projects;
- Serve as UN-Habitat focal point to coordinate and liaise with stakeholders including the government counterparts and implementing partners, specific to this project;
- Supervise and monitor implementing partners and contractors on site, on a daily basis, to ensure project activities are implemented with quality, in a cost-effective and timely manner;
- Inspects and report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring quality and timely implementation of work;
- Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary;
- Responsible for supervision of technical staff and consultants assigned to the project, and the assignment and monitoring of duties during the progress of works;
- Provide technical supervision and inputs to bidding process, including preparation of the bid documents and Bill of Quantities as well as bid evaluations;
- Develop and maintain partnerships and regular communication with project stakeholders such as local authorities, counterparts, implementing partners, contractors, beneficiaries and relevant UN agencies;
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting
- Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame, and budget;
- Conduct field visits to the project sites in order to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the National Programme Coordinator;
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a weekly basis to the National Programme Coordinator or as instructed;
- Assess and report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hand over all related reports to the National Programme Coordinator;
- Evaluate and assess works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the National Programme Coordinator accordingly;
- Check all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keep records and report to the National Programme Coordinator accordingly;
- Assess the work activities of contractor/s, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UN-Habitat standard procedures;
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force, and monitoring of quality of such during the progress of works;
- Check, verify and approve the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submit detailed reports to the Project Manager.
Perform other related duties as required
Required degree level
Master degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Advanced degree in a relevant area, Civil or Environmental Engineering or Construction Management is required.
- At least 15 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in Water, stormwater and landscape projects including assessment, design, supervision and implementation in Jordan and/or the Middle East region is required.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is desirable.
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the positions field of expertise.
- Experience in project management and supervision is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise
Other engineering and construction related experience
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
*Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Jordan and legal residents with a residency permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply. Application deadline: 14-09-2021