Do you want to contribute to creative solutions in a collaborative environment?
Are you passionate about advancing the latest science as part of a team of outstanding scientists and engineers?
Are you searching for meaningful work targeted toward advanced materials and innovative solutions to our country’s most demanding environmental problems?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
The Multifunctional Materials and Nanostructures Group is seeking a creative post-doctoral fellow with experience in clean water research to develop materials technologies for environmental science challenges. You will apply your strong background in environmental science, surface chemistry, catalytic chemistry and materials science to developing novel technologies for water remediation technologies, such as 1) removing and destroying toxic industrial chemicals such as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS); 2) harvesting water from air using novel porous media. You will also support the strategy for our team, whose efforts contribute to solving the Government’s challenges, by defining material compositions, architectures, and approaches to achieve targeted performance.
Envision joining a collaborative team of dedicated engineers and scientists, passionate about scientific achievement, and committed to excellence in innovation, open communication, and diversity. We strive to cultivate a collaborative atmosphere to achieve game-changing impact. Our APL team values integrity and innovative ideas that will ensure our Nation’s preeminence in the 21st century.
As a post-doctoral fellow, you will support ongoing APL clean water research projects as well as pursue new creative research efforts that could include novel environmental science and technology, materials science, chemistry, and modeling and simulation. This fellowship is for a one-year term, renewable for the second year upon the successful completion of the first year.
As a Clean Water Post-Doctoral Researcher, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Develop novel membrane coating technologies for sequestering PFAS and other emerging contaminants in water.
- Formulate and design novel catalyses for breaking tough organic bonds such as carbon-fluorine bonds.
- Develop and modify porous media for harvesting water from air.
- Develop analytical methods for testing contaminates in drinking water.
- Publish your research in peer-reviewed journals, develop proposals, and communicate your results in technical reports and presentations.
- Contribute to white papers, proposals, and sponsor briefings.
- Identify new research paths and perform work related to clean water, clean air, or environmental science-related efforts.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a PhD in environmental science, catalysis, analytical chemistry, materials science or a related field.
- Have 1+ year experience in clean water technologies research.
- Have knowledge of mass spectroscopy, or other relevant analytical chemistry techniques for clean water testing.
- Are a reliable team player with excellent communication skills and work efficiently in a laboratory setting.
- Are familiar with the common analytical tools such as MS, HPLC, GC, BET, XRD, SEM, FTIR, sorption isotherms, DSC, WDXRF, and TGA.
- Have a strong track record of innovative research and publications.
- Are able to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have experience in metal organic framework (MOF) synthesis and characterization.
- Have experience in the modeling and simulation of chemical reaction kinetics, sorption science, and engineering.
- Have experience in temperature swing adsorption process for gas sorption.
- Have experience in building prototypes for proof of concept work.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Primary Location: *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel