RTI International’s Center for Water Resources (CWR) provides hydrologic and hydraulic modeling services, decision support applications development, data management and analysis system design, and environmental engineering support to government agencies, private companies, and international clients. We execute many dam risk, water supply, and water forecast system related projects in the US, as well as international development projects, particularly in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Water Resources Engineer with a GIS and technical modeling focus. This position will be based in RTP, North Carolina or Fort Collins, CO but telecommuting is possible as well.
If you have good interpersonal skills, like supporting client objectives, work effectively and have interest in GIS, hydrologic and hydraulic modelling, and a desire to grow technical skills, then you would be a good candidate to join our young and dynamic team. RTI provides a diverse and innovative work culture with an excellent work life balance, great benefits, and continued growth opportunities.
You will assist RTI project teams in implementing hydrologic, hydraulic, reservoir operations, watershed, and consequences models, and use GIS processing to support model development.
Please apply if you have expertise related to these requirements (experience related to all is not necessary) – we will provide specific model training to motivated colleagues with the appropriate background and aptitude.
• Development of HEC-RAS hydraulic models, especially unsteady models with reservoirs
• Application of HEC-RAS 2D or other two-dimensional hydraulic models in urban environments
• Placing hydraulic model geometry components in complex terrain
• Working with GIS datasets and GIS processing to support hydrologic and hydraulic analysis
• Troubleshooting and developing solutions given data limitations and complex modeling scenarios that may involve interaction between hydrologic, hydraulic and reservoir models
• Development and calibration of local and regional hydrologic and hydraulic models in large riverine systems controlled under multiple, competing objectives, such as HEC-HMS, RiverWare, or similar
• Reservoir modeling including developing operational rules and outlet rating curves for large dams
• Developing large scale consequences models using HEC-LifeSim
• Programming or scripting in support of GIS and data processing and analytics
Your Spanish language skills and some expertise with water quality modeling will be a plus!
Your qualifications include:
• MS Degree with emphasis in Water Resources
• 2-5 years of related experience
• A lesser degree can be compensated with more work experience
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must not now, or in the future, require sponsorship.
“Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.”
The anticipated pay range for this role is $60,000-$80,000. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further,
salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for mothers and fathers, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.