Panel of Experts (Social Specialist)
WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP)
WAPP INTEGRATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
(Project ID: P113266)
Grant N°: IDA-D2440
REQUEST FOREXPRESSIONS O F INTEREST (final version)
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTSELECTION)
RECRUIT MENT OF SOCIAL SPECIALIST
1. The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL(WAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of t he Integration and Technical Assistance Projectand intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services t o be provided by two Panels of Experts (PoEs): (a) DamSafety Technical Panel and; (b) Social-Environmental Panel.
2. The WA PP SG will contract directly each member of thePanels on an individual basis.
3. The consulting services (“the Servic es”) require the expertise of a SocialSpecialist to advise the Client on all aspects of the Project(s) relevant to Environmen tal and Social issues, including theEnvironmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), the Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs), Live lihood Restoration Plans forProject Affected Populations (PAPs), Environmental Flows, need for an Artificial Flood, Water ResourcesManagement Options andimpacts of Climate Change on water availability, etc. The Social Specialist will be part of the Social-Envir onmentalPanel.
4. Members of the PoEs will be requested to provide advisory services and make evaluation and recommendation s withthe overall purpose of achieving adequacy, efficiency, safety and cost effectiveness of the Project(s) as well as sustainabil ity(including mitigation or compensation of negative environmental, social, and health and safety impacts).
5. The WE STAFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible individual (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services as Social, Resettlement and Livelihood Restoration Specialist. The Consultants are asked to provide (i) a signed cover letter ofinterest demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services; and (ii) asigned, detailed and updated CV.
6. The key requirements for this position are summarized below.
Professional Expperien signede
- At least a Master Level degree (MSc.);
- At least 20 years of international experience inassessm reparation, and implementation of Resettlement Action Plans and monitoring of sensitive and controversial projects withinstitutiona l, socioeconomic and cultural issues;
- International experience in at least 5 hydropower projects as keytechnical staff an d/or expert;
- Experience in Africa on 2-3 similar projects;
- Hands on experiencein compensation and r elocation of population affected by similar projects;
- Working knowledge of WB safeguards policies(especially OP 4.12 on I nvoluntary Resettlement), rules and guidelines as well as local and international standards for relocatingpeople.
Skills and competencies
- Fluency in English and advanced written and reading skills in French;
- Master o f Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.);
- Capability to work effectively in ateam;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
7. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment(“Terms of Reference fo r the Recruitment of Panels of Experts for Dams & Hydropower Projects”- 27August 2018) can be found at the following WAPP website: http://www.ecowapp.org/en/tenders
8. AConsultant will be selected in accorda nce with the selection method for individual consultant set out in the Bank’sGuidelines: Selection and Employmen t of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011-Revised July2014).
9. The attention of interested Cons ultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s ConsultantGuidelines above setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
10. Furtherinformation can be obtained via mail addressed to:
copy to and:
11. Interested candid ates are invited to apply strictly online sendingtheir applications to the following address: g with a copy
12. Deadline for receipt of applications is 30October 2018, 13h00 Cotonou time.