Panel of Experts (Environmental Specialist)
WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP)
WAPP INTEGRATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
(Project ID:P 113266)
Grant N°: IDA-D2440
REQUESTFO R EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (final version)
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTSELECTION)
RECRUITMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST
(ReferenceN°: BJ -WAPP-64388-CS-INDV)
1. The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP)has received financing from the World Bank toward the co st of the Integration and Technical Assistance Projectand intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting ser vices to be provided by two Panels of Experts (PoEs): (a) DamSafety Technical Panel and; (b) Social-Environmental Panel.
2.The WAPP SG will contract directly each member of thePanels on an individual basis.
3. The consulting services (“theServices”) require the expertise of anEnvironmental Specialist to advise the Client on all aspects of the Project(s) relevan t to Environmental and Social issues,including the Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), the Resettlement Action Pla ns (RAPs), Livelihood RestorationPlans for Project Affected Populations (PAPs), Environmental Flows, need for an Artificial Flood, Water Resources ManagementOptions and impacts of Climate Change on water availability, etc. The Environmental Specialist will be pa rt of theSocial-Environmental Panel.
4. Members of the PoEs will be requested to provide advisory services and make evaluat ion andrecommendations with the overall purpose of achieving adequacy, efficiency, safety and cost effectiveness of the Project(s) as wellas sustainability (including mitigation or compensation of negative environmental, social, and health and safety impacts).
5. The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible individual (“Consultants”) to indicate their interestin providing the Services an Environmental Specialist. The Consultants are asked to provide (i) a signed cover letter of interest dee ionstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services; and (ii) a signed,detailed nd updated CV.
6. The key requirements for this position are summarized below.
- At least a Master Level degree (MSc.);
- At least 20 years of international experience inthe assessment of environ mental impacts and preparation and implementation of environmental management plans for sensitive andcontroversial projects;
- International experience in at least 5 hydropower projects as key technical staff and/orexpert;
- Experienc e in Africa on 2-3 similar projects;
- Hands on experience in environmentalmanagement of hydro dams;
- Working know ledge of WB safeguards policies, rules, and guidelines as well as local andinternational regulatory standards on environmental issu es.
Skills and competencies
- Fluencyin English and advanced written and reading skills in French;
- Master of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlooketc.);
- Capability to work effectively in a team;
- Strong oral and written communicationskills.
7. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment (“ Terms of Reference for the Recruitment ofPanels of Experts for Dams & Hydropower Projects”- 27 August 2018) can be found at the following WAPPwebsite: http://www.ecowapp.org/en/tenders
8. A Consultant will b e selected in accordance with theselection method for individual consultant set out in the Bank’s Guidelines: Se lection and Employment ofConsultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011-Revised July 2014).
9. The attenti on of interestedConsultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Consultant Guidelines above setting forth the WorldBank’spolicy on conflict of interest.
10. Further information can be obtained via mail addre ssedto:
copy to and:
11.Interested candidates are invited to apply strictly online sending their applications to the following address: with a copy to
12. Deadline for receipt ofapplications is 30 October 2018, 13h00 Cotonou time.