Panel of Experts (Dam Specialist)
WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP)
WAPP INTEGRATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
(Project ID: P113266)
Grant N°: IDA-H7700
REQUEST FOREXPRESSIONS O F INTEREST (final version)
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTSELECTION)
RECRUITMENT OF SENIOR DAM SPECIALIST
- The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP) hasreceived financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Integration and Technical Assistance Project andintends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services to be provided by two Panels of Experts (PoEs): (a) Dam SafetyTechnical Panel and; (b) Social-EnvironmentalPanel.
- The WAPP SG will contract directly each member of the Panels on anindividual basis.
- The consulting serv ices (“the Services”) require the expertise of a Senior Dam Specialistto provide an independent and high-level engineer ing evaluation of Projects as it relates to dam safety. The Senior Dam Specialistwill be part of the Dam Safety Technical Panel.
- Members of the PoEs will be requested to provide advisory services andmake evaluation and recommendations with the overall purpose of achieving adequacy, efficiency, safety and cost effectiveness ofthe Project(s) as well as sustainability (including miti gation or compensation of negative environmental, social, and health andsafety impacts).
- The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible individual (“Consultants”) to indicatetheir interest in providing the Services as Senior Dam Specialis t. The Consultants are asked to provide (i) a signed cover letterof interest demonstrating that they have the required qualificatio ns and relevant experience to perform the Services; and (ii) asigned, detailed and updated CV.
- The key requirements for t his position are summarizedbelow.
- Professional Experience
- At least an Engineerin g Degree or Master Level(MSc.);
- At least 20 years of professional experience in the development and implementation of hyd ropower dam projectsand cascade developments, with ideally previous fieldwork experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, and proven track re cord of projectoptimization with due consideration to environmental and social issues;
- International experience in at lea st 5hydropower projects as key technical staff and/or expert;
- Recognized competences in dam safety and be familiar with WB Operational and Bank Policies (OP/BP) especially on dam safety;
- Expertise covering all aspects of civilengineering, including field investigations, design of dam and water conveyance structures, modeling, and construction planning, knoowle engige of international standards and best practices by ICOLD, etc.
- Hands-on experience in construction supervision,opera , and maintenance of hydropower plants and dam monitoring will also be considered favorably.
- Skillsand com petencies
- Working knowledge of Electricity Sector and dam safety regulations in Sub-SaharanAfrica would b e a significant advantage;
- Fluency in English and advanced written and reading skills inFrench;
- Master of Micro soft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.);
- Capability to work effectively in ateam;
- Strong oral and writtencommunication skills.
7. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment(“Terms of Reference for the R ecruitment of Panels of Experts for Dams & Hydropower Projects”- 27 August 2018)can be found at the following WAPP w ebsite: http://www.ecowapp.org/en/tenders
8. A Consultantwill be selected in accordance with the sel ection method for individual consultant set out in the Bank’sGuidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultantsby World Bank Borrowers (January 2011-Revised July2014).
9. The attention of interested Consultants is drawnto paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelinesabove setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
10. Further information can be obtained viamail addressed to:
copy to procurement@ecowapp .org and:
11. Interested candidates are invited to apply strictly online sending their applications tothe following address: with a copy to
12. Deadline for receipt of applications is by 30 October 2018, 13h00 Cotonou time.