Senior Advisor, Environmental & Social Risk
Our clients Environmental Social Risk Management (ESRM) team is seeking to recruit new Environmental and Social Risk Advisors. The Advisor would become an integral part of a multi-disciplinary advisory team composed of experts in social and human rights assessment, community engagement, labour and occupational health and safety, environmental management, environmental law, climate change and biodiversity, with a specific focus on the international arena.
This is an opportunity for an individual who is a resourceful self-starter, that thrives in an exciting team environment, to work directly on environmental and social risk management in the financial sector.
The Advisor provides expert advice to our client in managing environmental and social risks associated with financing and insurance transactions, in accordance with the organizations environmental and social review and risk management policies, procedures and legal requirements.
A Senior Advisor considers the activities of the exporter, the industry and the country context of a financial transaction to provide expert guidance to the customer on environmental and social risk management. In addition, a Senior Advisor leads the development of corporate responsibility policies, programs and initiatives.
The Senior Advisor is a key player in defining and negotiating ESRM’s interactions with other internal teams and represents our client with external stakeholders. In addition to the above tasks,you would be expected to provide advice on complex and challenging transactions or emerging issues; act as a technical and career mentor to other Environmental Advisors.
- Supports the corporate environmental and social risk management framework, including determination of risk tolerance, limits and delegations, measurement, and implementation of an integrated risk modeling system.
- Undertakes assessments of potential risks for the organization at every level and aggregates the results at the corporate level to facilitate priority setting and improved decision-making.
- Identifies and analyzes potential non-credit related sources of risk in transactions, and for the operations of the Corporation more broadly, and recommends strategies for minimizing risks.
- Communicates information regarding business risks across the organization.
- Leads environmental reviews and evaluations of environmental and social assessment documentation associated with transactions, presents findings, and provides recommendations for Business Teams and Senior Executives.
- Independently negotiates and structures environmental commitments in more complex transactions with project sponsors, Business Teams and Legal Services.
- Leads and facilitates interface with strategic relationships (e.g. exporters, project sponsors, external consultants) in relation to environmental and social review and risk management commitments and requirements
- Builds and leverages internal and external networks to identify and act on opportunities to continually improve environmental and social risk management policies, procedures and practices
- Delivers corporate environmental training programs
- Provides formal oversight of ESRM reviews prepared by colleagues for more complex and challenging transactions (particularly any direct reports)
- Completion of a degree in an environmental or social field, such as environmental science or management, ecology, climate change, water resources, international development, occupational health and safety, labour, etc., or in a related field such as Law (environmental, labour, human rights) or Engineering
- Knowledge of environmental and social risk management principles and practices, particularly international standards and guidelines
- Demonstrated thought leadership on specific environmental or social risk management-related issues (e.g., occupational health and safety, human rights, environmental risk management, climate change, biodiversity, community relations, resettlement)
- At least 7-10 years of relevant work experience in the area of environmental and social impact assessment in an international setting, including at least 2 years experience in or with the financial sector
- Expertise in the area of occupational health and safety in developing markets.