Title: Senior Advisor, Climate Change
Team: Environment & Energy (E2)
Reports to: Senior Director, E2
Winrock International (Winrock) is recruiting a Senior Advisor on Climate Change within the Environment & Energy (E2) Group. The E2 Group is comprised of three units: Ecosystem Services, Clean Energy, and Forestry and Natural Resource Management. The E2 group collaborates closely with other Winrock Groups, including Agriculture, Resilience and Water; Human Rights, Education & Empowerment; and Corporate Affairs, to identify and implement cutting-edge solutions to climate change. Winrock is a non-profit organization that works around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock strengthens the capacity of women, children, youth, civil society organizations, and the private sector to actively participate in sustainable development and to positively impact society. As a senior member of the E2 management team, the Senior Advisor will lead by example, fostering an environment that is collaborative, conducive to growth, respect, equity, and thought leadership.
For decades, Winrock has been a leading organization in nature-based solutions, developing and supporting practices that reduce and remove emissions, while building sustainable economic growth. Winrock helped pioneer the carbon offset market, with the creation of the American Carbon Registry in 1996. We have been at the forefront of leveraging and developing the latest scientific tools to determine greenhouse gas impacts and implement best land use practices.
Environment & Energy Group
Sustainable economic growth depends on a healthy planet. Globally, there is an increased commitment from governments, businesses, foundations, and non-profits to ensure that the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement are achieved. The E2 Group uses science-driven, evidence-based solutions to address the myriad ways humans use natural resources. From nature-based solutions to climate change, to community-based natural resource management, to market-driven innovations in clean energy and promoting ecosystem services, Winrock develops solutions to protect natural resources, address climate change and promote long-term economic well-being and health. Our approach empowers local communities, governments, civil society and the private sector, providing them with the information needed to develop sustainable, win-win solutions. Implementation is focused on partnership, as well as technical and data-driven innovations and learning, adapting, and scaling proven models.
Leadership, Strategy, and Impact:
- Strategically grow the Group’s climate change portfolio, deepening impact, scale, and reach.
- Contribute to the E2 Group’s strategic planning and positioning around climate change.
- Work with the team to identify, document, and promote technical best practices and methodologies for future new business design, internal learning, and external promotion. Foster and promote the capture, utilization, and growth of knowledge and learning within the Group and across the organization, more broadly.
- Contribute to the growth of the Group’s technical visibility with key stakeholders, practitioners, and donors with an eye towards identifying and engaging promising partners for collaboration and innovation through thought leadership activities including, but not limited to, penning op-eds; serving as a technical panelist, and identifying topics and convening technical fora/ensuring Winrock participation in relevant fora.
- Work with the E2 team to develop core technical materials for the Group.
- Provide perspective and expertise on emerging issues and trends in the environment/climate change sector.
- Drive collaboration and thought leadership on integrated climate change activities across the organization, including private sector Net Zero engagement.
Proactive New Business Development:
- Support and grow E2 new business by surfacing and recommending opportunities, leading proposals, and/or serving as a technical lead, contributor, or reviewer; and working closely with the Sr. Director of E2, E2 Directors, and New Business Support Unit to ensure the delivery of quality proposals.
- Utilize professional network to build and maintain relationships with current and prospective donors in the portfolio through regular outreach.
- Represent Winrock at external events, nationally and internationally, and position Winrock for expanded work in relevant fields.
- Identify, develop and uplift existing technical project tools and approaches that can be incorporated into the larger technical area.
- Serve as a champion for Winrock’s Core Values (accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation) and encourage upward feedback.
Who You Are and Keys to Success
- Master’s degree in international development, environmental science, natural resource management, forestry, climate change, or other related field required; terminal degree (PhD or equivalent) strongly preferred.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in climate change adaptation/mitigation/resilience required. Additional years of experience strongly preferred.
- At least five years’ of experience in senior-level management positions for donor-funded international development projects. Senior-level staff management experience on large and complex natural resource management projects ($15M+) strongly preferred.
- At least five years of overseas experience with technical and/or operational issues related to biodiversity, private sector engagement, natural resource management (water and forests), or related issues strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated technical innovation and leadership in climate change programming, strategic planning, and capacity development.
- Track record leading and designing winning multi-million-dollar proposals for major donors.
- Proven experience working closely with government ministries and ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with officials at national and local levels.
- Demonstrated experience in public communication on technical issues including peer-reviewed publications, blogs, op-eds, podcasts.
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Fluency in a language in addition to English strongly preferred.
- Excellent leadership, problem solving, teamwork, interpersonal skills required.
- Willingness to travel to developing countries as required.
Winrock offers competitive pay and an excellent benefits package.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization