Job Title: WASH Sustainability Manager
Reports To: Country Director
Duty station: Kigali
Supervisor Duties: Manages MEL Officer, Water and Sanitation Business Officer and Sanitation
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems globally. The organization strives to continually improve, experiment with promising new ideas, and leverage resources to multiply its impact.
WASH Sustainability Manager collaborates and provides support to national WASH Ministries (Ministry of Infrastructure, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Local Government and Ministry of Environment), Government Institutions (WASAC Ltd, Rwanda Environment Authority, Water Resources Management Authority, Local Administrative Entities Development Agency-LODA, Rwanda Utilities and Regulatory Authority, etc.), WASH Service Authorities (districts) and Service Providers in water and sanitation to ensure sustainable water and sanitation services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Strategic Planning for Sustainability
- Work with WFP HQ, and Country Program staff to develop country strategic sustainability plan in line with Water For People’s overall strategy and policy objectives;
- Contribute to Water For People’s overall program and policy discussions pertaining to sustainability of WASH Services;
- In co-operation with partners, develop program work that contributes to Water For People’s learning and advocacy agendas;
- Initiate annual operating plans in line with set sustainability priorities and allocated budget.
- Entertain relationships with national WASH stakeholders including WASH Ministries, government institutions responsible for providing and sustaining WASH Services, local government authorities, and local water and sanitation service providers.
- Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, the local private sector and NGOs supporting WASH in WFP EF districts to create synergies.
- Build/strengthen relationship with sector stakeholders supporting sustainability-oriented activities and influence harmonization of sustainability approaches.
- Act as a liaison person for Agenda For Change Partners and other WASH Alliances.
- Influence the uptake of sustainable WASH approaches by sector stakeholders.
- Specific tasks
- Participate in the review of sector policies, strategies, guidelines and influence the inclusion of sustainability principles in all sector documents where possible.
- Support MININFRA in organizing annual sector performance review meetings/workshops.
- Initiate research, and documentation of sustainability-oriented programs/activities such as performance of District WASH Boards in the EF districts, impact of WFP work on peoples’ lives, performance of water and sanitation service providers and support the improvement process.
- Take a lead role in identify capacity building needs of the national WASH Ministry (MININFRA), EF districts and service providers both in and outside EF districts.
- Collaborate with Agenda For Change partners and others to develop WASH tools.
- Provide technical support to MININFRA in the pilot and scale up of the District Wide Approach.
- Provide support to MININFRA in developing frameworks, indicators, and setting targets for sustaining WASH services.
- Monitor the performance of EF districts towards sustainability of WASH services using available tools such as Forever planning tool, and contribute to the development of other tools when needed.
- Collaborate with the relevant water resources management institutions to ensure that districts are supported to develop their water resources management plans.
- Schedule and conduct Sustainable Services Checklist Interviews.
- Participate in the international, and regional sustainability events.
- Promote a learning environment among Water For People’s partners and staff.
- Contribute to organizational learning by preparing and disseminating data, lessons learned, good practices and statistical and qualitative data to Water For People staff, partners and other stakeholders, and work with the MEL Officer to organize periodic organizational learning events to share best practices.
- Identify funding opportunities and support proposal development.
- Conduct and/or supervise periodic evaluations of the Program and Thematic Strategies and their contribution to the achievement of overall results.
- Track delivery against Water For People—Rwanda goals and objectives, including establishing baselines to gauge and support the performance of the program sustainability;
- Contribute to internal communications as needed.
- Contribute to donor reports, and bi-annual reports, and produce a synthetic and analytical progress report to guide management decision-making when required.
- Facilitate/lead the scale up of successful water and sanitation businesses.
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Maintains an attitude of open, curious and proactive learning, continually expanding own area of understanding and expertise.
- Connects with Others – Listens and fosters open communication through questioning, dialogue, and information sharing.
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree in development studies, Management, Environmental sciences,
or any related fields.
- At least five (5) years at a senior position, and at least 3 years ‘experience preferably in an NGO setting.
- Strategic thinker with well-developed planning skills.
• Understanding of sector building blocks, and water and sanitation sustainability at least
three (3) years’ experience preferably in an NGO setting.
• Experience in Tracking Budget Expenses and Grants Management.
• Experience in Staff Supervision and Performance Management.
• At least three (3) years’ experience in project and personnel management.
• At least 2 years’ experience working in Rwanda.
• Fundraising and proposal writing experience.
• Experience in budget development and operations management.
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Self-starter and ability to undertake any tasks without intensive supervision.
• Maintain sound ethical principles, integrity and transparency of due process.
• Common sense to make judgments about a situation requiring deviations from
- Position is based at Water For People’s Rwanda office;
- Trips within and outside Rwanda will be required from time to time.
How to Apply:
- If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with application letter along with detailed curriculum vitae (resume), relevant academic documents, and contact details of at least three (3) referees to this position. Please submit your application materials in English. In person visits or phone calls are not allowed!
- Applications need to be received no later than 15 September 2021 at 5:00 pm (Rwanda time).