Requisition ID: req19853
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager-Raqqa/Hasakah
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The Environmental Health Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management of Environmental Health (EH) WASH staff involved in direct implementation of IRC’s EH Emergency Response WASH Project to the Euphrates Water Crises. S/he is overall responsible for ensuring that approved technical designs and approaches are adhered to, maintaining program quality and that all water, sanitation and hygiene objectives are met on time and within the budget. When requested, s/he will undertake capacity building of team members and representation in coordination forums.
|Ensure that all water and sanitation activities are in line with project strategy and design|
|2. Ensure that all hygiene promotion, distribution and monitoring activities are in line with project strategy and design|
|3. Assist and input into the EH Emergency strategy|
|Maintain close links and collaboration with other sectors and in particular Health, Protection, Gender, WPE and ERD.|
|Ensure that the emergency water, sanitation, hygiene and distribution activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner (SPHERE, IRC) and in line with beneficiary needs.|
Key Working Relationships: Health teams, Implementing Health and WASH partners, Government authorities, Community stakeholders, and other IRC health sectors.
· Position Reports to: EH Coordinator/Health Coordinator
· Position directly supervises: EH WASH team
· Indirect Reporting: Health Coordinator (this will change when the EH Coordinator leaves)
· Other Internal and/or external contacts: WASH and Health teams, Government authorities, NES WASH partners, Community stakeholders, all other IRC Sectors
· Participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning;
· Input into the development of EH Project Strategy
· Provide direct technical support to the EH Water, Sanitation, Hygiene Promotion, Distribution and Monitoring teams in accordance with best practice and IRC policy.
· Ensure that water, sanitation, hygiene promotion and distribution activities meet stated objectives within the timeframe;
· Ensure the project demonstrates adherence to international and national standards, including Sphere and others;
· Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming;
· Propose technical designs for all water and sanitation activities including those within IRC Health facilities
· Provide technical support and training for project staff including staff supporting infection prevention and control (IPC) measures within IRC Health Facilities.
· Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records
Staff Supervision & Development
· The post holder will directly manage the entire WASH team
· Support the Senior IPC Manager on technical WASH improvements for targeted Health Facilities
· Participate in recruitment of staff in the approved EH organogram
· Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
· Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with designated staff.
· Responsible for WASH teams’ timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
· Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
Grant Planning & Implementation
· Assist the EH Coordinator draft technical proposals and budgets to enable programs to meet the immediate needs of the affected community.
· May have some budget authority to pre-approved limits and responsibility for budget development and compliance.
· Responsible for ensuring the achievement the specific Environmental Health grant timeline and completion date in designated area of project/activities
· Provides direction and monitors staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of technical activities.
Donor Monitoring & Reporting
· Lead on monitoring Environmental Health activities and spend in line with donor grants
· Participate in timely donor reports
· Fully responsible for field monitoring of all Environmental Health activities making recommendations for modifications of activities as required.
Coordination & Representation
· Maintains effective coordination and networking with internal as well as external stakeholders,
· Works closely and coordinates with IRC supply chain and finance staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures;
· When requested, represents IRC in external WASH forums
· Contributes to the development of EH emergency strategy direction and plans
· Participates in sector specific strategy development and technical proposal design
· Responsible for ensuring that monitoring and data collection/analysis of all water and sanitation indicators are in line with the approved monitoring framework, using all the correct monitoring tools and at the frequency prescribed
· Participate in monitoring data analysis
· Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the Senior/EH Coordinator, and when liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Degree level qualification in Civil Engineering or Environmental Sciences; relevant experience will supersede the formal qualification
- 3 to 5 years of experience in leading/managing WASH or Environmental Health programs with INGOs;
- Excellent understanding of WASH issues, including IPC in Health Facilities in emergency situations and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere)
- Strong management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment;
- Able to manage multiple tasks.
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field;
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.