Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Sri Lanka Resident Mission (SLRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SLRM is responsible for coordinating all ADB’s country operations in Sri Lanka. SLRM leads the country programming discussions and policy dialogue with the government, and leads or coordinates all sector operations, including in the area of water resources management, agricultural, and rural development.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Project Officer (Rural Development) supports in identifying, developing, implementing, and administering loans, technical assistance (TA) projects, and other non-lending products and services (NLPS) associated with ADB’s rural development efforts in Sri Lanka. This includes supporting the development of physical capital (e.g. rural infrastructure); human capital (e.g. capacity building); financial capital (e.g. credit and finance); natural capital (e.g. watershed protection, marine and coastal ecosystem management, fisheries management, etc.) and social capital (i.e. institutional development). The incumbent supports the formulation and articulation of sector policy and strategies, and the engagement of stakeholders in support of ADB’s rural development activities. The incumbent will report to designated International Staff (IS) and senior National Staff (NS).
- Assists and, when required, leads the development, processing, administration and implementation of loan and TA projects in the rural development.
- Assists and coordinates provision of rural development related inputs to ADB’s Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and Indicative Country Pipeline and Monitoring (ICPM) Report.
- Assists policy dialogue with the government to advance policy and institutional reforms under ADB’s assistance for rural development in Sri Lanka.
- Assists the adoption of international best practices in rural development in Sri Lanka and initiate technical assistance and knowledge work as necessary in consultation with ADB HQ-based staff and other national organizations and development partners.
- Facilitates the dialogue with private sector on potential business opportunities and liaises with relevant departments/offices of ADB for the preparation and implementation of non-sovereign and/or public-private partnership transactions.
- Liaises with and coordinates with relevant government departments.
- Liaises with and coordinates with development agencies to ensure close collaboration between development agencies and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Assists the development and maintenance of a knowledge base and network in rural development to keep SLRM abreast of the latest developments and issues. Contributes to activities of relevant ADB thematic groups.
- Participates in and contributes to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination, and knowledge building.
- Supports HQ-based staff with operational activities.
- Performs other tasks as assigned and reflected in the workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field, preferably with advanced training.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience, with hands-on experience in preparation and administration of rural development projects, preferably in planning and implementation of water resources projects, irrigation and drainage, flood risk management, and/or agriculture.
- Experience in procurement and administration of large works and/or goods contracts and consulting services will be considered an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills to liaise effectively with government officials, staff and management of executing agencies, representatives of civil societies, private sector, development partners, and other agencies engaged in the rural development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for NationalStaff Level NS1/NS2.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.