Intern (Environment, Natural Resources & Agriculture Division - Flood and Environment Management)
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC: "Flood and environmental risk management approach in project design."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
(i) Study international best practices on nature-based solutions for flood and environmental risk management/water resources management.
(ii) Study the nexus among flood, water quality, and ecosystem in a river basin context.
(iii) Study how indicators and targets for impact, outcome, and outputs have been set for ADB's flood and environmental risk management/water resources management projects.
(iv) Study how impact, outcome, and outputs of ADB's water resources management projects have been estimated or evaluated, and how these can be applied for flood and environmental risk management projects.
(v) Make recommendations on how the nexus issues can be addressed in practices, and how to set indicators and targets for impact, outcome, and outputs for such projects, as well as how to estimate or evaluate them.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 16-21 weeks
- Timing: January 2019
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
(i) Introduction to ADB staff of international lessons and best practices on nature-based solutions in water resources management.
(ii) Recommendations on potential solutions (innovative) for integrated flood and environmental risk management.
(iii) Recommendations on how to set indicators and targets for impact, outcome, and outputs for flood and environmental risk management/water resources management projects and how to estimate or evaluate them.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Must be enrolled in a Master's or PhD course related to water resources management or environmental science.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
(i) Experience in conducting researches and/or studies on flood risk management, environmental protection, and/or water resources management
(ii) Familiarity in remote sensing/geographical information system would be an asset; and
(iii) Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).