UNDP Serbia is supporting the Government of Serbia to comply with international conventions and European Union regulations on climate change, adaptation and mitigation, emission-reduction, as well to promote the transition to low-emission and climate-resilient development. UNDP, as an implementing agency of the Global Environment Facility (GEF), is providing assistance to the Serbian Ministry of Environmental Protection in the implementation of the projects related to fulfilling the reporting requirements to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Paris Climate Agreement, integration of emission reduction and climate adaptation and resilience measures into development planning, promotion of policy and market interventions, awareness raising and other measures that promote emission-reduction, climate change adaptation and climate resilient development. Also, the UNDP in Serbia is implementing “Advancing medium and long-term adaptation planning in the Republic of Serbia” project in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management, which is financed by the Green Climate Fund (GCF). The project builds on Serbia’s NDC commitments to advance medium and long-term adaptation planning in the Republic of Serbia with a National Adaptation Plan (NAP), providing support for iterative improvements to the NDCs under the enhanced transparency framework requirements, while enabling the Government of Serbia to build and strengthen capacities for mainstreaming climate change adaptation (CCA), produce actionable climate risk and vulnerability assessments, and implement effective methods, tools and information systems to better inform decision-making on climate risks. Project activities address the main barriers to the integration of CCA into national, sectorial and local government planning and budgeting and support the formulation of financing strategies and mechanisms for the scaling up of medium- and long-term adaptation. The overall goal of the NAP is to reduce climate change related risks throughout Serbia by strengthening institutional and technical capacities that support integrated CCA planning and programming. Under the climate change portfolio, UNDP implements several projects which contribute to NDCs and Paris Agreement, within the scope of the Country Program Document (CPD). CPD covering a period 2021 – 2025 derives from and supports the implementation of the UN Development Partnership Framework with the focus on: (a) more accountable institutions and empowered citizens, (b) inclusive innovation for development and decent work opportunities and (c) strengthening resilience for current and future generations. This assignment will be responsible for management of the following projects within the climate change portfolio:
- “Advancing medium and long-term adaptation planning in the Republic of Serbia”;
- “Establishing Transparency Framework for the Republic of Serbia”;
- Second Biennial Update Report and Third National Communication to the UNFCCC for Serbia”.
The purpose of this position is management of the implementation and administration of the climate change projects. This position will ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the Project activities and achievement of Project results.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Manager is responsible for day-to-day management and decision-making for the listed climate change projects. The Project Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the project activities and achievement of project results specified in the Project Documents, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost. Specific responsibilities include:
Management of designated projects/components in accordance with UNDP Program and Operations Policies and Procedures and UNDP Serbia Standard Operating Procedures:
- Be responsible and accountable for the overall management and administration of the Projects, and the timely and quality delivery of all Projects outputs;
- Ensure implementation of projects activities, by working closely with project team and other staff assigned to the projects. Supervises and manages the project staff. Builds, motivates and leads the project team;
- Prepare all projects workplans, annual work plans and ensures timely and good-quality implementation of workplans activities. Oversees and participate in the mobilization of personnel, goods and services and oversees contractors’ work;
- Develop and manage, in coordination with partners, an overall Project implementation strategy;
- Prepare Projects Work Plans and present them to the National Project Director/Project Board for review/approval;
- Supports the work and decision-making of the Project Board by providing timely, detailed and accurate information to the Project Board`s members. Prepares Project Board sessions, ensures minute-taking and information-sharing;
- Coordinate an exit strategy at least 6 months ahead of the project closure date; ensure closure of the project is done per the established procedures;
- Follow the latest international and national development in the climate change and related fields and initiate and establish new partnerships to support project implementation.
Monitor progress and manage risks, ensuring that changes are controlled and problems addressed; Report on progress and issues:
- Develop Monitoring and Evaluation Plan for tracking and evaluating progress against the agreed targets;
- Monitor expenditures of financial resources to ensure compliance with rules and procedures and accuracy and reliability of financial reports; ensures preparation of budget revisions as necessary; follows up with the National Project Director and the Project Board on issues;
- Monitor Projects progress to ensure that it is in accordance with the timetable set out in the Project Documents and preparation of regular updates to Project Boards on projects’ progress, implementing issues, emerging risks/problems and proposals for necessary remedial actions;
- Collect and manage project data as required by the M&E Plan;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Manage the project risks; inform the Project Boards on emerging issues and risks, update the issue and risk status;
- Ensure that all draft reports and information that are obligation according to the GCF and UNDP NCE’s procedures are prepared in a timely manner;
- Ensure reporting to National Project Director/Project Board is prepared timely and the reports are meeting the standards;
- Support the preparation of reviews and evaluations as defined in the project document;
- Prepare interim progress and final project completion reports and papers,
- Design Terms of Reference for engagement of consultants and companies.
Networking and support to resource mobilization:
- Maintain good cooperation and coordination between national counterparts, projects’ partners and other stakeholders;
- Maintain regular contacts with beneficiaries to ensure relevance and quality of projects’ outputs;
- Provide substantive advice on key issues within the scope of respective Output;
- Maintain and update a database of innovators, service providers, complementary projects, and available sources of funding;
- Contribute to the development of pipeline initiatives primarily under the themes covered by the projects.
Communication, knowledge management and learning:
- Provide policy advice on issues within the scope of the project;
- Regular exchange of information/experience with other projects, cross-learning and sharing results and good practices;
- Ensure the project has the required communication package;
- Prepare communication materials for dissemination inside and outside the UNDP;
- Participate in training events, communities of practice;
- Facilitate team’s learning and knowledge sharing.
Institutional Arrangement Project Manager will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, Climate Change and Environment.
Required skills and competencies
- Good application of Results-Based Management
- Good communication, coordination and facilitation skills
- Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of Project work
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills
- Establishes lasting relationships and substantive dialogue with clients
- Treats all people fairly without favourism
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards
- Eager to share knowledge and experience.
Desired additional skills and competencies
The following specific experiences will be considered as an asset:
- Experience working in the UN system or other international organizations; experience in managing project funded from GEF/GCF/AF and bilateral donors;
- Experience in managing projects in the field of environmental protection and climate change;
- Excellent understanding of Serbia’s socio-economic situation;
- Knowledge in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social, technical, or natural sciences;
- Master’s degree will be considered as an asset.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience with Bachelor’s degree or 2 years of relevant experience with master’s degree in the field of environmental protection and/or climate change;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in coordinating/managing climate change related projects, preferably in international/multilateral development context, experience with GEF/GCF projects implementation will be considered as an asset;
- Experience in managing teams and complex processes that included extensive communication, coordination and facilitation requirements;
- Experience in areas of work related to the development of sectoral and programming policies and planning and institutional capacity building, with increasing responsibilities, preferably in areas related to climate change adaptation;
- Experience in working closely with Ministries in particular with the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management;
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional and local level.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.