CAWST is a Canadian charity and licensed engineering firm. We address the global need for safe drinking water and sanitation by building local knowledge and skills on household solutions people can implement themselves.
At the heart of everything we do is our belief that when people have their basic water and sanitation needs met, they have the opportunity to succeed. This is what drives our dedicated team to work with a global network of more than 1,500 clients and partners. Together, we have reached more than 16 million people since our inception in 2001.
Collectively, we are making a difference at a scale beyond what any of us could do individually. But our job isn’t done yet and we need you to help us expand our reach.
Do you thrive on taking initiative as part of a collaborative team to get projects to the finish line? CAWST is looking for a savvy professional who can’t wait to share our story, brings brilliant writing and editing skills, diligent project coordination, and digital know-how to market our products and services to diverse target markets. As our new Specialist, Marketing and Communications, you will work with team members from across the organization to support key initiatives—from profiling water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) projects to developing national awareness campaigns.
The Specialist, Marketing and Communications is part of CAWST’s Business Development Team, supporting the organization to accelerate its reach and impact. We aim to do this by engaging and influencing the global WASH sector to grow our clients and funders, marketing CAWST’s services to clients globally to increase adoption of technologies, and increasing awareness and engagement across Canada to grow CAWST’s donor base.
This position’s broad portfolio encompasses marketing and communications, including planning, project management, content creation, and implementing marketing tactics (traditional and digital). This role will be responsible for various marketing and communications activities:
- Marketing: This role provides input to planning marketing projects and supports all phases of the project execution including project coordination. This position will ensure that all the details are covered and evaluation, analysis, and learning are part of every project. An understanding of digital marketing platforms and analytical tools will be essential to support the large volume of work in the online space. The main purpose is to engage CAWST’s key audiences, boost CAWST’s brand awareness, and deliver against our core strategic directions as well as against specific goals, objectives, and revenue targets.
- Communications: This role is responsible for supporting communications plans through the creation of content such as blog posts, social media posts, video scripts, website content, emails, print collateral and more. Translating complex concepts into concise and effective messaging is a key component of this role. Compelling storytelling techniques are essential for sharing CAWST’s impact and increasing our base of clients, funders, and donors.
If you are someone who thrives in a rapidly-evolving environment, can adeptly handle multiple priorities with sound judgement and professional integrity, and wants to be surrounded by passionate and motivated individuals, we would love to meet you!
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Support senior communication advisors and provide project coordination for various marketing initiatives.
- Support and execute on strategic marketing and communications plans aimed at accelerating CAWST’s impact.
- Support the digital communication advisor in the planning, execution and optimization of digital campaigns.
- Write and edit clear, compelling copy for marketing and communications materials, including social media, websites, digital ads, blogs, brochures, video scripts, email marketing, annual report, and more.
- Write compelling stories that convey CAWST’s work and impact for use in marketing campaigns and regular communications.
- Support events-based marketing opportunities (such as speaking engagements) through the coordination of logistics and development of briefs, pitches, speech writing, and more.
- Provide support to other team members as required.
- Identify and submit award applications
- Identify and manage speaking opportunities for CAWST
- Prepare briefing notes on WASH sector individuals and organizations by researching and synthesizing background for meetings, conferences, presentations, and events.
- Maintain membership accounts (ACGC, CCVO, UN Water, WASH Canada, etc.).
- Coach staff and volunteers on CAWST’s key messages.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in or understanding of international development is essential.
- Demonstrated excellence in scheduling and supporting the execution of marketing and communications projects.
- Experience in marketing-focused writing/editing, creative thinking, and production of marketing collateral and publications (print and digital).
- Experience with earned and/or paid media.
- Experience in digital marketing measurement and optimization.
- Experience with project management software, and/or shared file systems.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
These other skills and experiences are considered assets. Please highlight these in your cover letter:
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Arabic
- Experience in marketing and communications targeting international agencies and funders
- Experience in marketing and communications targeting Canadian donors and funders
- Experience in digital storytelling
- Knowledge of ethical storytelling and experience with vulnerable populations
- Experience in developing relationships in cross-lingual and/or cross-cultural circumstances
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions, collaborative and inclusive processes. CAWST recognizes and accepts differences in cultural, religious and political processes.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age
Applications will be accepted until September 8th.