General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governorate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
GOAL has been working in North Aleppo Governate since 2019, through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, as well as emergency support for recently displaced household.
GOAL has two projects (ECHO funded LINK and PRM funded GREEN) in Turkey, LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labor. LINK has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable / marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. On the other hand, Green program aims to improve socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities (Syrians as well as those living in program locations under the international protection regulation) including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services.
The WASH Civil Engineer will be based in GOAL’s offices in Harem or Darkosh, Syria, reporting to the WASH Deputy Programme Manager- Technical Assessments, and will be part of technical team who are responsible to develop technical studies and conducting needs assessments within the operation areas of WASH program.
The WASH Civil Engineer is responsible for developing technical studies, schemes, BOQs, and all technical documents of WASH projects under the supervision of the WASH DPM. This includes assessing all requirements for rehabilitation and maintenance building of water stations, water networks (water networks designs, network pressure balancing, etc..). the WASH Civil engineer will be the key role for setting technical specification for all civil engineering activities related to water stations, water networks rehabilitation & expansion projects. Also, he will be responsible for developing contracts’ terms to assure best quality services and materials will be provided. WASH Civil engineer will support implementation team to develop most possible effective water provision schedules to the served communities.
Duties, objectives, and competencies
- Technically assist the WASH DPM to collect information and needs assessment for water networks, and water stations (civil works);
- Assist WASH DPM to prioritize required water networks rehabilitation and expansion projects to be implemented;
- Develop technical studies, schemes, and BOQs for rehabilitation of water networks, and water stations (civil works) projects starting from proposed needs by Water Units;
- Develop technical terms of all contracts, documents, and all formal agreements of civil and construction activities;
- Assist WASH DPM in preparing WASH purchase requests;
- Assist WASH DPM to developing water networks maps and designs for all program’s area of operation. Forecast all required spare parts and materials for networks maintenance;
- In corporation with WASH site engineers, support Water Units to develop most possible effective water provision schedules;
- Support the WASH site engineers in supervision of implementing the civil works (rehabilitation of water networks, water stations, water reservoirs and any civil construction works);
- Ensure that policies and guidelines as laid down in GOAL manuals and policies are always adhered;
- Ensure adherence to GOAL’s Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy and standards of Integrity, as well as uphold GOAL’s whistleblowing mechanisms;
- Ensure adherence to the financial guidelines as per the GOAL Financial Manual;
- Ensure compliance against all donor requirements, including timely quality reporting, as applicable to the project;
- Any other tasks related to WASH activities at the request of the WASH DPM.
- Degree level qualification in Civil engineering (a university graduate);
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in WASH civil engineering;
- Excellent experience and knowledge of water systems related to networks, water pumping station (water reservoirs construction, pipes materials, networks accessories, valves, etc.);
- Excellent experience and knowledge of water networks balancing and modelling;
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles;
- High level of computer skills (especially excel).
- High level of engineering designing programs (AutoCAD, SAFE, SAP, ETABS).
- English language skills (spoken and written);
- Good knowledge in Goal’s working context area;
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organizations an advantage;
- Previous experience in project implementation (infrastructure projects) WASH desirable;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in designing and rehabilitation of water networks, water pumping systems. water networks’ pipelines and its accessories… etc;
- Previous experience working with NGOs (WASH field) or public water and sanitation authorities a distinct advantage;
- High level of engineering designing programs (Revit, Primavera, JWD, CIVIL, Water CAD, 3D, GIS, etc.).
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is 15 September 2021.
Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please inform [email protected] with the details immediately.
“يرجى ملاحظة أن منظمة جول GOAL لا تفرض أي رسوم من أي نوع أو أي التزام مالي آخر في أي مرحلة من مراحل عملية التوظيف (الطلب ، المقابلة ، المعالجة ، التدريب ، التعريف) أو رسوم أخرى ، و لا تطالب بأي معلومات عن الحسابات المصرفية البنكيه للمتقدمين على الشواغر. لا تعمل جول GOAL مع المؤسسات الوسيطة والأفراد أو وكالات التوظيف أثناء عملية التوظيف. في حالة طلب أي رسوم أو مستحقات منك خلال عملة التقديم على الوظائف الشاغره أو في أي مرحلة من مراحل عملية التوظيف ، يرجى إلابلاغ عن طريق ارسال رساله الكترونيه الى [email protected] و الافصاح عن جميع بالتفاصيل على الفور.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.