About the Position: This position serves as the senior hydrologic technician responsible for data collection requirements of the office, professional engineers, and hydrologists.
NOTE: The incumbent will spend approximately 50% of the time in the St. Paul District Office in St. Paul, MN and 50% at Lock and Dam 2 in Hastings, MN.Learn more about this agency
- Performs a full range of complex Field Gage Maintenance work to include field and support work.
- Installs and services complex DCPs, stream gages, rain gages, etc to assure complete and reliable data at all stages are collected applying both conventional and unconventional methods to a variety of field conditions.
- Maintains recorders and gages of varying types with varied power sources. Replaces defective equipment which cannot be repaired in the field. Arranges for major repair of complex equipment through approved vendors.
- Responsible for implementing the District’s meteorological, hydrologic, and hydraulic gage network program.
- Tracking equipment inventory for all gage equipment (currently using FEM), tracking gage maintenance (needed and completed), tracking and paying for gage utility bills, tracking and paying for equipment for each site.
- Uses the Corps Water Management System (CWMS) software suite for the preparation and maintenance of necessary real-time meteorological, hydrologic, and hydraulic data.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements GIS work in support of the branch.
- Trains and leads others to code geometric and other input data for the Corps Hydrologic Engineering Center’s (HEC) suite of models, including the Hydrologic Modeling System (HMS), Reservoir Simulation (ResSim), and River Analysis System (RAS).
- Coordinates with engineers and scientists in hydrologic analyses, including development of datasets to be used in hydraulic, hydrologic, or reservoir operation studies.
Travel Required: 25% or less – You may be expected to travel 25% or less for this position.
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: 11
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- The duties of this position require the incumbent to possess or obtain and maintain a valid state Driver’s License in one of the 50 U.S. states or possessions to operate vehicles.
- Possession of a valid boating license or the ability to obtain one within one year of start date.
- Ability to climb ladders up to 16 feet high.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds (e.g. lead sounding weight).
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
GS-10 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes the desire to work in the field of Hydraulics and Hydrology with experience with GIS software in the office and the ability to problem solve in the field with some experience in leadership. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
GS-11 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes having previously been a lead on a gage crew, experienced with data validation along with experience with ArcGIS 3D analyst and spatial analyst. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-10).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone–no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Physical Requirements: The work requires some physical exertion such as: long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activity. Work is physically demanding and includes walking, bending, climbing steps, lifting equipment up to 40 pounds. Operates equipment truck with trailer and boat; launches and recovers boats. Incumbent will be required to climb ladders up to 16 feet high.
Work Environment: The work area may include exposure to environments such as: an outdoor environment involving moderate discomforts such as exposure to rain, cold/hot weather and icy streams and rivers that may require special safety precautions and gear such as life jackets, safety boots, waders, and reflective rainwear, and at time working at places up to 50 feed above ground. Travel as a passenger in a vehicle (e.g., van, 1-ton, specially equipped truck, etc.) and work near water at altitudes up to 14,000 feet.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Information Management
- Technical Competence
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 – Engineer and Scientist position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction/ for more information.
- A relocation or recruitment incentive may be authorized.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Security clearance: Other
Drug test required: No
Position sensitivity and risk: Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process: Suitability/Fitness
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 09/14/2021 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11215876).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
GG-APF-W2R906 US ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT, ST PAUL
DO NOT MAIL
St. Paul, MN 55101
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.