SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its current Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
For more information on our operations in Kenya and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
We are looking to hire a WASH Technical Specialist to undertake technical assessments and analysis of rural water systems. The preferred candidate will have an excellent understanding of the Kenyan water sector and a sound knowledge of rural water supply. He/She will conduct detailed assessments on rural water assets, design practical capacity building activities to address the challenges and dynamics faced by community-managed rural water systems and provide linkages with solution partners from private sector. Experience working in arid and semi-arid areas will be an added advantage.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with selected small scale water utilities and community-based water systems, county governments and other private sector companies.
- Design technical interventions that will create change in improving performance of rural water systems.
- Optimise technical interventions towards resilience, competitiveness and inclusiveness in business operations.
- Support county governments, local communities and local private players to create awareness, improve knowledge and understanding of operational and maintenance, and management aspects of rural water systems and the role private sector can play.
- Prepare briefs and reports on rural water systems that present gaps, suggest technically feasible and appropriate solutions and define expected results and milestones and subsequently monitor their performance and results.
- Manage technical interventions to improve the performance of selected rural water systems.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and new areas for improving engagement with private sector companies and tools.
- Contribute to internal learning and knowledge management processes, including regular performance monitoring, programme reviews and evaluations.
- A minimum of a Bachelors’ degree in Engineering with a specialisation in water infrastructure and management. A Masters in Engineering or equivalent professional certification will be highly preferred.
- At least 8 years’ work experience in the water sector with demonstrated experience in design, implementation and evaluation of water infrastructure systems with government and international organisations. Experience gained in the water sector environment would be an added advantage.
- Good understanding of commercial viability, operational and maintenance cost recovery strategies and professionalisation of water operations.
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills, problem-solving, judgment and decision-making skills and the ability to monitor and explain trends and variances.
- Excellent writing skills and strong reporting and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner, for different purposes and across multiple audiences.
- Strong relationship management skills, with the ability to engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Good negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to influence people positively.
- Able to work both independently, efficiently and effectively as well as in collaboration with people at various levels and from different backgrounds.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the I’m Interested button and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before 13th September 2021, attaching your CV and cover letter indicating names of three (3) referees. All responses should be made in English.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment