Position: Waste Systems Strengthening Manager
Type of work: 70% office, 30% field based (with monthly trips to Freetown)
Reporting to: Urban WASH Advisor
Contract length: 2 years
General Description of Programme:
GOAL has a 16-year presence in Sierra Leone with activities in Freetown Western Area, Kenema, Bo, Bonthe, Bombali, Port Loko and Kambia Districts. The GOAL Sierra Leone programme contributes to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of multi-sectorial, integrated programmes. The SL programmes specifically focus on systems strengthening and community level behaviour change programming, targeting improved maternal & child health through nutrition and hygiene, sanitation and water activities as well as child protection and empowerment interventions.
In Freetown, GOAL has been involved in WASH programming since 2008, gaining considerable experience in Faecal Sludge Management (FSM). Using this experience GOAL, in partnership with Makeni City Council, Kenema City Council and Welthungerhilfe (WHH), have developed a three-year program to establish a city scale system for the management of solid and liquid waste in two regional cities in Sierra Leone. GOAL, will be responsible for the implementation of the project in Kenema city while WHH will work in the Makeni.
Overall Purpose of the role
Working under the direction of the Urban WASH Advisor the Waste Systems Strengthening Manager is responsible for the overall management of GOAL’s waste project in Kenema. This position will directly line manage GOAL staff supporting the Waste project and will be responsible for ensuring appropriate involvement and a productive relationship with the City Council.
- Lead on institutional support and reform with the City Council to improve capacity in solid and liquid waste management
- Led on private sector development related to solid and liquid waste management
- Develop Public Private Partnerships related to solid and liquid waste services with the City Council and private sector companies
- Identify key areas for on-going capacity building of relevant departments of the City Council for implementation in future programming
- Provide guidance on all aspects of liquid waste management, to both cities, while ensuring learnings from Freetown are incorporated and where relevant, work is coordinated across the three cities (Freetown, Makeni and Kenema).
- Ensure work on solid waste management follows advice provided by WHH and input in on technical decisions as required.
- Lead on GOAL representation on project implementation updates, technical discussions, decisions across the two cities
Project Management & Reporting
- Supervision of all internal, external communications and reporting to GOAL and partners, in coordination with the Urban WASH Advisor.
- Ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and GOAL requirements.
- Ensure project achieves objectives as set by an agreed work plan by City Council, WHH and GOAL.
- Ensure all finance and logistical processes adhere to GOAL’s operating protocols and guidelines and lead on communication with GOAL support departments to ensure timely delivery of project activities.
- Ensure all finance and logistics processes are planned adequately with the relevant departments in GOAL, providing sufficient led times while ensuring that spends are in line with approved budget
- Directly supervise all staff in the Waste Project and carry out recruitment, supervision, performance evaluation and capacity development of these positions.
- Supervise consultants and contractors as required to ensure deliverables are completed as per agreements.
- Work with the Urban WASH Advisor, M&E Advisor and Coordinator, and relevant Technical Coordinators to ensure ongoing monitoring of progress and accurate data collection, management, storing and reporting by partner project staff.
- Experience in public sector institutional support and/or reform, ideally in a context similar to Sierra Leone
- Significant experience managing a team to produce results
- Excellent report writing skills & communication skills
- Experience in business development within private sector
- Experience in solid/ liquid waste or other utilities management
- Experience in designing and implementing behaviour change activities
- Experience working within a Consortium, or a project with multiple partners
- Experience of working in Sierra Leone
GOAL has a Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.