Head of Regional Flood Management and Mitigation Center
The Mekong River Commission
The Mekong River Commission (MRC) was established by the 1995 Agreement on Co-operation for the Sustainable Development of the Mekong River Basin, between the governments of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam. The role of the MRC is to coordinate and promote cooperation in all fields of sustainable development, utilization, management and conservation of the water and related resources of the Mekong River Basin.
The MRC Secretariat is the operational arm of the MRC. It provides technical and administrative services to the Joint Committee and the Council to achieve the MRC’s mission.
VISION for the Mekong River Basin:
An economically prosperous, socially just and environmentally sound Mekong River Basin
VISION for the Mekong River Commission:
A world class, financially secure, International River Basin Organisation serving the Mekong countries to achieve the basin Vision
MISSION of the Mekong River Commission
To promote and coordinate sustainable management and development of water and related resources for the countries' mutual benefit and the people's well-being
1. Job Summary / Job Statement
The jobholder is the Lead Technical staff of the Division and supports the Director in overseeing the work of the Division and guiding other specialists. Specifically, the Chief Hydrologist supervises all activities and tasks assigned related to hydrology and hydrological monitoring, and the associated work of modelling and flood forecasting activities. The position holder oversees the management, production, and distribution of MRC hydro-meteorological information. The position supports the Director in leading the implementation of core river basin management functions related to data and monitoring (CRBMF 1), modelling and analysis (CRBMF 2) and forecasting, warning and emergency response (CRBMF 4).
2. Main tasks and responsibilities
2.1 MRC Outputs oriented KPIs:
Responsible for the RFMMC’s annual outputs and results through activities to:
- Provide inputs to update Flood Management Strategies.
- Provide technical inputs to the preparation of Drought Management Strategies.
- Work with the NMCs and national line agencies in member countries to ensure full participation of appropriate line agencies in the implementation of the Centre’s activities.
- Provide technical inputs and support to facilitate and manage transboundary flood National Indicative Plans (NIPs) and Member Countries’ joined-projects in Mekong basin’s border areas.
- Provide management and monitoring of assigned staff on routine river flood and flash flood forecasting in flood season; river monitoring in dry season and make sure daily and weekly broadcasting of flood forecasting and river monitoring, and related information on MRC websites and relevant communication channels.
- Contribute and provide inputs to MRC’s annual combined hydrological, flood and drought report.
- Provide technical and managerial inputs for the improvement/development of river flood and drought forecasting and flash flood guidance system.
- Provide technical input and support to technical staff to implement effectively all RFMMC’s assigned development projects
- Ensure the preparation of technical reports, such as progress and activity reports and be responsible for RFMMC staff’s performance assessments.
- Make sure annual work plan is made based on MRC Strategic Plans and basin emerging issues regarding to Mekong Basin’s flood management and mitigation that includes anticipated regional workshops and capacity building activities and feasible implementation plans.
- Continously identify progressive risks, key and emerging issues hampering the progress of RFMMC coordination and implementation including foreseen and/or actual deviations from the work plans, milestones and indicators, assess consequences, select and implement appropriate response measures;
- Make sure annual audits to be done in a most effective manner with high quality of Centre’s operation and management.
- Strengthen networking with other international river basin organizations, global links, relevant organizations and technological resource centres around the world as well as to, in consultation and coordination with the Office of CEO, support fund mobilization for an enhanced Centre.
- Propose, advise, develop or implement other related duties as assigned by Division Director and MRC Chief Executive Officer
- Be responsible for effective and efficient use of MRCS resources i.e. human, financial, assets, networks, partnerships, etc. and is in charge of the day to day management of the Centre.
2.2 Competency KPIs:
- Efficiently coordinate day-to-day operations, facilitate and implement the RFMMC implementation work plans, budget plans, technical studies, training and workshop schedules, etc. in a well-coordinated and harmonized manner;
- Act as a sound chief technical advisor and office manager of the RFMMC and be an effective focal point for all RFMMC related information that goes beyond the individual RFMMC activities;
- Provide and coordinate sound technical inputs of MRC professional staff, consultants, national focal points and regional collaboration partners;
- Strengthen the network with other international river basin organizations and global links with relevant organizations and technological resource centres around the world;
- Continuously coach and transfer knowledge and skills to team members to build next leadership generation.
- Show profound leadership and managerial quality that focuses on good team work and effective delegation,
- Work to build trust and harmony within the team and with MRC at large.
2.3 Behaviour KPIs
- Be accountable to the MRC
- Be transparent in decision making
- Be cooperative and fair to all staff members
- Be punctual, professional and committed Head of the RFMMC
- Output-oriented, diplomatic and culturally sensitive
- Be ethical and follow closely MRC Oath of the Office.
- Follow MRCS Rules and Procedures and encourages others staff to do so.
3. Required competencies
1 = Required 2 = Desirable 3 = Optional
Drought and Flood management, mitigation and forecasting
Applied information technology
Strategic Planning for drought and flood management
Disaster responsiveness in relation to severe drought and floods
Regional networks of government agencies, communities, CSOs, academic institutions, private sector agencies, etc. who are working on or doing research on flood and drought management, mitigation and forecasting
Mekong River Basin Hydrology
1 = Required 2 = Desirable 3 = Optional
Excellent management, coordination, facilitation and delegation skills
Analysis and data processing skills
Excellent report writing skills
Excellent monitoring and evaluation skills
Excellent command of spoken and written English
Result based management skills
Project planning and management skills
1 = Required 2 = Desirable 3 = Optional
Strong willingness and ability to work inter-disciplinarily
Technical Leadership and vision
Willingness to travel within and outside the region
4. Scope of Authority
- Supervision requirements: The position will provide technically and managerial guidance to staff working at the RFMMP and is to report to the Division Director. Supervision of consultants and quality control are requested.
- Level of autonomy: Decision making follows defined procedures. The position is responsible for the proper spending of the Centre and make sure the Centre’s accountability to MRCS.
- Level of problem solving required: Problem solving skill is complex and the incumbent must display sensitivity, initiative and creativity d
- Level and type of communications required: Communications are wide, within and outside the Centre and MRC, and require considerable oral and written skills with high English competency and fluency.
5. Qualification requirements
- University degree (Master or higher) in engineering, water resources, hydrology, hydro-meteorology or related discipline. A doctorate is desirable.
- TOEIC certificate with 600 points and over is required. An equivalent internationally recognized certificate may also be considered.
- Minimum 13-year experience in applied hydrology and water resources engineering;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and facilitate technical team members to work to achieve common objectives and goals to obtain concrete annual outputs and organizational budget;
- Excellent knowledge and professional experiences in a broad range of water balance analysis and hydrological modelling or computer modelling techniques as applied to river-system simulation and flood forecasting, especially in the Mekong River Basin; and
- Good knowledge in web-based hydrological data/information presentation and management, and GIS application for flood and drought
The Job Description and other information can be obtained from the MRC website http://www.mrcmekong.org/working-with-mrc/employment/ and https://www.facebook.com/Mekong-River-Commission-165798426775632/timeline/. MRC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are especially encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Closing date for applications: 30 May 2017
Only nationals of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Vietnam are eligible to apply. The application, in a single PDF file, must include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, and (iii) MRC Personal History Form. The position title and division must be indicated in the cover letter. MRC offers challenging job with attractive compensation package.
Candidates must send his/her application via e-mail to both MRC Secretariat and the National Mekong Committee in the candidate’s home country as per details below:
Mekong River Commission
Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane (OSV)
P.O. Box 6101, 184 Fa Ngoum Road
Vientiane 01000, Lao PDR
Cambodia National Mekong Committee
P.O.Box 623, 364 Monivong Blvd.,
Sangkat Phsar Doerm Thkouv, Khan Chamkar Mon, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel. (855-23) 216 514 Fax. (855-23) 218 506
Lao National Mekong Committee
Khunbulom Road, Chantabouly District, Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Tel. (856-21) 260 983 Fax. (856-21) 260 984
E-mail: email@example.com or
Thai National Mekong Committee
Department of Water Resources
180/3 Rama 6 Road, SoiPhibulWatanaBuilding
Phayathai, Bangkok 10400 Thailand
Tel. (66-2) 271 6165, 271 6620
Fax. (66-2) 298 6605
Viet Nam National Mekong Committee
23 Hang Tre, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Tel. (84-4) 825 4785 Fax. (84-4) 825 6929