WASH Project Manager
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
To deliver assistance inside of Syria more effectively, CARE is in the process of transitioning to a Syria Country Office that will manage all operations inside of Syria under a unified management structure. By doing so, CARE hopes to reach more vulnerable populations inside Syria with programmes that are able to respond to humanitarian and protection needs, in spite of limitations to access.
The purpose of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Project Manager (WASH PM) will conduct the analysis and assessments that inform a programme strategy for WASH provision in N.E. Syria that is both quality and in harmony with the wider CARE Syria Country Office approach. Cash as a modality will be a key part of that assessment. S/he plays a crucial role in providing high quality programme management necessary to initiate a crucial part of a new and effective humanitarian operation in N.E. Syria.
The WASH PM reports directly to the CARE Area Director (AD) for North East Syria. The WASH PM is responsible for the representation of CARE with relevant project stakeholders in this region, ensuring that CARE’s core values are promoted and procedures are complied with.
CARE Syria is planning a range of humanitarian, protection and livelihoods-focused programmes with funding secured from multiple sources. The WASH PM will lead the implementation of the WASH programme strategy to ensure CARE’s intervention is timely, effective and relevant to a range of needs. He/She will manage multiple project managers, providing training, mentoring and capacity building for CARE staff and potentially for partner agencies as well.
CARE is looking to both expand its programming in the area through direct implementation by its staff and also through local partners. The various activities will target humanitarian and protection needs in conflict-affected host, refugee and IDP communities, through a resilience approach that better enables people to recover quickly from shocks and prepares for future scenarios. CARE places high value on ensuring the specific needs of women, men, boys and girls are met, through a gender sensitive approach that seeks transformative outcomes.
The WASH PM will cooperate with key programme support functions, including Finance, HR, Administration, Logistics and Procurement.
The WASH PM models and ensures systematic practice of CARE core values - Transformation, Integrity, Diversity, Excellence and Equality- S/he also promotes Gender Equality and Diversity among Northern Syria staff and in programming. S/he will help build effective teams, coalitions, partnerships and networks within and beyond CARE.
- Staff Management and Human Resources
- Contracts and Compliance
- Project Cycle Management
- Programme Development, Protection and Gender Mainstreaming
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- External Relations and Advocacy
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- 4 years in project management position related to WASH programming
- Demonstrated experience in leading operational planning
- Extensive conceptual skills including strategic analysis
- Demonstrated management skills in a complex international setting
- Strong track record of humanitarian programming in complex environments
- Familiar with humanitarian principles and coordination
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching and conflict management;
- Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting;
- Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results;
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
- Knowledge and experience with financial management as demonstrated by ability to:
- Manage a complex budget
- Ensure donor compliance and reporting
- Ability to establish a learning culture within the Unit and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
- Experience in successfully managing various forms of partnerships with national and international NGOs, etc.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Strong representation, influencing and negotiation skills.
- HEAT Training desired