India nationals: WASH Officer
Job Number: 504664 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
The WASH Officer will provide technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process. The Officer prepares, manages and implements a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the Country Programme.
ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Summary of Key functions/accountabilities:
- Programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
1. Programme development and planning
- Draft updates for WASH in the situation analysis, to inform the development of WASH-related outcome and output results. Research and report on trends in WASH, for use in programme development, management, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of WASH-related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies, through analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations, complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support progress towards the WASH-related outcome and/or output results in the Country Programme.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate review and approval processes.
2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/ share information on implementation issues, provide solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level interventions and/or decisions. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare reports on results for required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
- Prepare sectoral progress reports for management, donors and partners.
3. Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Undertake field visits and surveys, collect and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
4. Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Draft requisitions for supplies, services, long-term agreements and partnership agreements to ensure UNICEF is prepared to deliver on its commitments for WASH in case of an emergency.
- Study and fully understand UNICEF’s procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
5. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results.
- Draft communication and information materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund-raising for WASH.
- Participate in inter-agency meetings on UNDAF planning, to integrate and harmonize UNICEF output results and implementation strategies with UNDAF development and planning processes.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
6. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems).
- Assist in the preparation of learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Assist in creating and delivering learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
IMPACT OF RESULTS
The support provided by the WASH officer will enable the Country Office to achieve the WASH-related output results of the country programme. This, in turn, will contribute to the achievement of the outcome results of the Country Programme Document. When done effectively, the achievement of the outcome results will improve child survival, growth and development and reduce inequalities in the country.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
University degree in public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or other specialist field related to WASH is required.
A minimum of two years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries.
Oral and written proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Competency Profile (For details on competencies please refer to the UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles.):
Core Values (Required)
- Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ] • Working with People [ I ] • Drive for Results [ I ]
Functional Competencies (Required)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
- Analyzing [ II ]
- Applying technical expertise [ II ]
- Learning and researching [ II ]
- Planning and organizing [ II ]
a) Basic knowledge of six of the eight components
- Rural water supply for low- and middle-income countries - including water safety, sustainability
- Rural sanitation for low- and middle-income countries, incl sustainability; applying CATS principles
- Urban sanitation for low- and middle-income countries, incl sustainability
- Handwashing with soap
- WASH-in-Schools and Health Centres
- Menstrual hygiene management
- National government WASH policies, plans and strategies
- Analysis of national budgets and expenditure for basic WASH, and related advocacy
b) Basic knowledge of one component
- Humanitarian WASH - preparedness
- Humanitarian WASH - response and recovery
c) Basic knowledge of all four components
- Programme/project management
- Capacity development
- Knowledge management
- Monitoring and evaluations
d) Basic knowledge
- Human rights and WASH
- Gender equality and WASH
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Candidates are informed that all applications are subject to background verification which may include academic and professional experience.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
Opening Date Fri May 12 2017 05:30:00 GMT+0200 (SAST) India Standard Time
Closing Date Sat May 27 2017 20:25:00 GMT+0200 (SAST)