US nationals: Assistant Research Scientist (Hydrogeologist)
Assistant Research Scientist, Hydrogeologist
The Division of Hydrologic Sciences of the Desert Research Institute (DRI) is seeking an Assistant Research Scientist with an emphasis in hydrogeology and data science. This position will be based at DRI’s Reno campus. The desired applicant must be versatile and prepared to work on a variety of research topics across disciplines.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development, calibration, and maintenance of groundwater flow and transport models, analysis and statistical modeling of large datasets, spatial analysis, and geochemical modeling. The candidate must be proficient in a variety of modeling software platforms including MODFLOW, FEFLOW, PHREEQC and TOUGH2. The candidate must have experience in multi-phase groundwater flow and transport modeling. Candidates possessing skills that span different spatial and temporal scales, and who use innovative technologies to address complex hydrologic questions are strongly encouraged to apply.
- M.S. in hydrogeology or a related field from an accredited institution and two years of full-time professional experience in hydrogeology
- US citizenship
- Excellent English-language communication skills (oral and written)
- Demonstrated experience in hydrologic and geochemical modeling software platforms including MODFLOW, FEFLOW, PHREEQC and TOUGH2
- Demonstrated experience in spatial analysis and modeling software platforms such as ArcGIS
- Experience with programming languages including Python, MATLAB, or FORTRAN
- Ability to define and conduct high-quality research as part of an interdisciplinary, collaborative research group
- Experience with industry standard GUIs for groundwater modeling, including GMS and Groundwater Vistas
- Experience with hydrogeologic field methods
- Demonstrated experience in statistical analysis and modeling of large datasets
- A record of developing professional reports, presentations at professional meetings, or peer-reviewed journal articles
Conditions of Employment / Physical Requirements
- Due to funding specifications of this position, ALL applicants MUST be citizens of the United States and the incumbent will be subject to a fingerprint background check and work status verification through E-Verify.
- The individual who is offered and accepts this position must provide, within 30 working days of his/her start date, a copy of the transcript(s) of the highest degree he/she has acquired, as awarded by an accredited institute as recognized by the United States Department of Education and/or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- The position requires occasional fieldwork for short periods of time, in settings varying from urban to remote locations under fair to extreme conditions (deserts in summer).
- Ability to travel one to two times a month, on average, nationally, but primarily in the western U.S
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with qualifications. This position is eligible for DRI’s benefits package and relocation assistance. See this link for a benefits overview: Faculty Benefits.
DRI is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability (whether actual or perceived by others) or military status or obligation, and veteran status in employment, programs, and activities. It is further required that DRI take affirmative action in all employment matters to ensure that our policies and practices are non-discriminatory.