Consultancy (Individual National Construction Engineer)
Job Number: 504039 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Consultancy
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Objective of the Assignment:
To provide support to reconstruction and rehabilitation of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) projects in Sabha and Ubari in coordination and collaboration with technical teams in Tunisia and /or Libya. The consultant will also provide support for other ongoing projects including rehabilitation of schools and health centers, prefab installation and installation of solar systems. The selected person will allocate most of his/her time in supervising work in Sabha and follow up on other work requirements in the rest of the country. The selected person will travel to Ubari on regular basis
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
Under the supervision of the Deputy Representative and in consultation with the education and WASH Specialists, the consultant will provide technical support in identifying schools, rehabilitation and construction needs in Sabha and Ubari, monitoring and evaluation of the rehabilitation activities and provide technical recommendations for further improvements. The specific tasks are as follows:
- Responsible for the effective planning, implementation, monitoring and supervision of construction and rehabilitation tools works and to ensure that the project processes are developed and implemented according to the UNICEF polices and guidlines;
- Ensure that effective quality control systems are in place and contractors and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications and UNICEF quality standards;
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate performance of contractors and service providers;
- Ensure work descriptions, specifications and cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets;
- Support the Supply section in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction and consultancy services;
- Responsible for overall progress and use of resources for the construction projects by UNICEF in Libya;
- Identify and manage risks and initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved;
- Prepare interim, final and handover project reports and maintain the relevant project records;
- On the request of the supervisor, perform visits to other UNICEF programme locations( IDP camps in Sabha, Ubari; UNICEF office in Tunis for briefing and meeting and report on the progress of programme implementation based on the clear guideline provided;
- Perform other relevant duties as per supervisor's request.
Based on the assigned tasks above, the consultant is expected to provide the below deliverables on a monthly basis:
- Detailed progress reports that summaries all the rehabilitation related activities for the review and approval of the WASH Specialist
- Provide a final report at the end of the assignment.
Engineering degree in civil or architecture engineering (BSc level or higher).
Work experience and Technical Background:
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in civil work projects including construction projects and finishing works,
- Proven experience in school rehabilitation / construction projects through all stages of implementation from project planning and preparation of tender documents, through tendering to construction contract management as well as project implementation with site supervision, monitoring and quality control,
- Relevant experience in water and sanitation projects is highly required for this consultancy (water networks, pump stations, tanks construction, and sewerage and wastewater system),
- Proficiency in computer applications like word processing, spreadsheets, graphics etc,
- Ability to analyse figures and technical data.
- Fluency in oral and written English and good working knowledge of Arabic.
Administration of Consultancy:
- It is a full time consultancy based in Sabha with frequent travel to Ubari
- The consultant is expected to be in the field during five full working days in a week;
- The consultant is expected to travel every month to Tunis The travel plans will be agreed on a monthly basis with the WASH Specialist and the Engineer;
- The monthly payment is subject to the receipt of the certified monthly report against the detailed work plan agreed and signed off by the WASH specialist at the beginning of the month.
The selected candidate is expected to submit a detailed financial proposal for consultancy.
The financial proposal should provide the details as indicated below:
- Monthly consultancy fee.
- Travel to Tunis every month. The expenses should include but is not limited to flight tickets, transportation and living expenses in Tunis.
- Internal daily Travel in Sabha to schools and IDPs camps location. In addition to travel to Ubari on regular basis (2 times per month)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date Wed Apr 12 2017 09:00:00 GMT+0200 (SAST) Central Europe Daylight Time
Closing Date Sat Apr 22 2017 23:55:00 GMT+0200 (SAST)